Prologue

Lightning illuminates the night sky, wind whips and whirls around us, the sound of thunder roars in the distance. Heavy breaths fill the air but no one dares to speak. Another wolf has fallen.

Draped over Jane's body lies her mate, Dom, broken and alone.

Heading to the nearest tree I begin to dig around the roots until I find what I'm looking for, a pack of clothes. Hiding behind the nearest tree that will cover me I shift and change. The black tee shirt reaches about mid-thigh and the basketball shorts hold loosely to my hips.

Heading back to my search team I see that most have shifted and changed as well. With only one exception.

Placing my hand on his wolf's back I whisper, "Dom. Shift, hold her, properly say goodbye."

Whimpering, Dom complies and goes to find a pack, while he changes I examine Jane.

She didn't even have enough time to shift before she was killed, claw marks bigger than any wolf I've ever seen litter her freckled face. Her throat ripped out and left lying next to her, her body bloody and skin torn. It seems almost impossible for this gruesome corpse to be the light and bubbly Jane everyone knew and loved.

"That's the fourth pure blood this month," whispers Naomi. "What's happening?"

"I don't know," I sigh. "Although I have a feeling that nothing good will come of it."