nine ▸ who is the fairest of them all?

×
word count : 532
written by : mint
×

w h o  i s  t h e  f a i r e s t  o f  t h e m  a l l ?

{ lowercase intended }

swanpetal glanced down at her reflection in the puddle for the millionth time, admiring her fluffy, long, gorgeous pure white fur. her iridescent blue eyes sparkled back at her and her plumy tail waved. she was easily the prettiest cat in the clan. everyone told her so and almost every tom wanted to be her mate. all except one.

  hawthorntooth.

  and he was the one swanpetal wanted to love her the most. because he was resisting her so, it made the white she-cat want him. want him to be her mate. she wanted everyone to be in love with her.

  "puddle, puddle, on the ground. who is the fairest of them all?" she questioned, tilting her head slightly.

  of course, the puddle gave no answer, but swanpetal heard a voice in her head saying, you are the fairest of them all.

  "puddle, puddle, on the ground, who is the beautifulest of them all?"

  you are the beautifulest of them all, swanpetal.

×

"hawthorntooth," swanpetal batted her eyes flirtatiously and put her tail on his muscular shoulder.

he hissed at her and she removed her tail with a frown. "what do you want, swanpetal?"

the white she-cat purred. "everyone loves me except for you. i was wondering why that is."

"for one, you're vain. you're self-absorbed. you're pretty on the outside, but not on the inside, sweetheart."

"ugh! i can't believe you! you're just jealous of my beauty! so, admit it, hawthorntooth! admit you're in love with me!"

hawthorntooth ignored her completely and started to pad away.

  "wait! don't walk away from me!" swanpetal called desperately, but the dark orange tabby was already pacing away.

  swanpetal scoffed. h-he's the one missing out. he'll regret this. maybe i should get an actual mate to make him jealous.

×

swanpetal brushed against her new mate, jaguarspots. the spotted tom was head-over-paws in love with her, with no clue of the beautiful white she-cat's intentions.

  "oh, jaguarspots. i love you." she purred loudly, and eyed hawthorntooth, who was relaxing in his moss nest. he didn't seem to hear, or care, which made swanpetal seethe with rage.

  "i love you too." jaguarspots purred back, and licked her cheek. "i was so happy you asked me to be your mate—"

  "i've gotta go make dirt. be right back."

  without waiting for a reply, swanpetal slipped out of the warriors den. she was going to the lake to look at her reflection again.

  "lake, lake, in the clan, who is the prettiest of them all?" she asked, once she had arrived and received an answer in her head.

  you are the prettiest of them all.

  swanpetal purred, but when she looked down at her reflection again, she saw a different cat. a cat with a scarred, torn-up face. but that was her white-furred face. one of her blue eyes was still there, the other was gone.

  the she-cat screamed at the top of her lungs until it hurt.

  you are not the prettiest of them all.