Chapter Six

I sat in the guidance counselor's office for a good ten minutes tapping my foot anxiously because i was anxious to figure out why i was being called down. A secretary was seated at the desk. She had blonde hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a green tank top and a light brown leather jacket and a pair of dark blue skinny jeans. She was typing. I was getting upset.

"Why am i here?" I finally asked her.

"Oh, she just wants to see you." She poked her head in the direction of a door.

"Oh." I murmured.

"Thanks."

I went back to tapping my foot and finally the lady came to get me.

"AH! Melody!"

"Welcome!"

She held out her hand. It seemed almost corny. I laughed.

"Whatever, so why am i hear?"

"You have a friend who would like to speak with you." She said.

"I think you need to hear him out."

I shrugged and nodded and we both went down the hallway to her office. She opened the door and i walked in behind her and sat in the first chair i saw. Then i turned to see who was in the other chair.

Billy was seated in a chair next to the guidance councilor. Uncomfortably he looked at the floor. I looked at him confused. He looked at the guidance councilor, and confused i looked at him. He took a deep breath and without making eye contact told me. "Melody, i have cancer." His lip quivered as he spoke. The words dropped like ice. "I..I.." I began to say. Suddenly it was as if my world went cold. I cried and ran out the door. I didn't stop running i ran out the guidance counselors door, then out the door of the office, and continued to run around the corner until i got to the front door of the school. And i continued to run for the fear of being hurt and facing the hurt. I ran and i didnt stop. I guess you could say i was a fool. Fools exist.

I ran up the path on the side of the school confused. I kept running and i didnt dare stop. I let the dirt and the grass and the sweet smells surround me. Although i was in the woods, the only sounds i heard were those of my foot steps tapping on the dirt in a rhythmic sense and my jacket gently hitting the sides of my pockets. I breathed and panicked. I finally came to a clearing. There were train tracks. I stepped back and looked up at the swirm of fantasy that wrapped around me. There was an apple tree by the tracks where i stood , out of breath and in longing for the sweet smell of apple. I went and collapsed by the trunk of the tree. I stared up at the clouds and endless sky. The clouds seemed to swirl. Big white cotton balls twisting and swirling and with the vision the sound of crickets chirping in the far back wood. I looked down the track gasping for air. I wiped the tears and slammed my fists on the track and held my fist in pain when i realized that the track was steel based. I heard a whistle from the back of the area. I closed my eyes and without thinking stood up. I took in the sounds of the robin and the nearby brook from over yonder in the wood and then watched the monarchs, swallowtails, and american coppertail butterflies play in the far corner of my eye. The faint whistle from the train was beginning to sound nearer. One whistle. Two more whistle. I kept crying as i stood there as tall as i could feeling the earth from my toes all the way to my head. suddenly i saw the train. Without thinking i stepped on the track and just as the train blew the whistle and was about to hit me, I was thundered to the ground on the other side. I didnt know who did it at first. I looked around scared. "Oh my god. " The voice said. I was collapsed on the ground unable to move shaking and crying and breathing faster then the speed of lightning. I cried. "Melody.. Jesus." the voice said again. The train continued to whistle and move past us behind us. I toned out the noise and hugged the person. It was a boy i noticed as i started to dry the tears and refrain from snuffling. He wiped my tears and he hugged me tighter pulling me closer and hugging me again as the train continued. "Melody." "oh man." He said. I looked at him finally. It was Luke. I stood up and he dragged me back down. "Sit." he commanded. The trains smoke filling the little clearing was exhausting. So i sat. We waited and sat on the ground covered with moss and debris and lincoln. Hard cold, and earthy. I examined a inchworm in the dirt wiggling its way in and out of the ground as if was curiously wondering why in the world his whole house was shaking. I giggled. Finally the remainder of the train left the area. And after ten minutes of sitting and gazing at each other in silence, finally we stood up. He took my hand and lead me over the tracks. He kept looking back where we were seated previously once we safely crossed to the other side. He shook his head. "I know were not good friends anymore Melody, but thats no reason to do this." He explained as he pointed towards the tracks.