Prologue: The Disappearance of 'Father'

I stood with Krul, Urd, Lest, Ky, Gabel, and Rigr looking at Father. Father was the first progenitor, the first and most powerful vampire on Earth. It was nighttime and it was cold, Krul looked sad...was it because Father and Ashera were leaving us?

It was odd. The timing. It was night to begin with and Father was leaving all of a sudden to a place none of us knew off.

"Father why are you leaving us, are you okay?" I said blinking owlishly. I gave him a really big and cute smile trying to indicate that Father could trust me but he hadn't said anything-- such as an explanation to us.

We all were bleary eyed and very confused. Ashera wouldn't ever leave Krul and I, he loved us, Father loved us too!

"...I will be leaving with Ashera" Father said in his usual airy yet elegant voice. He sounded almost on edge for some reason. I shivered and looked at him sadly, Urd had taken off his coat and put it on me. I smiled at him in thanks, he nodded gently patting me on the head like I was a child!

If I hated anything-- it was how they treated me like a baby, I was just as strong as them.

"Where are you going with Ashera, Father?" Krul asked as she tilted her head to the side in confusion. His only reply was-

"We are going somewhere far away from here, The Land of the Rising Sun" Father said.

"May I ask where this place is, Father?" Krul asked.

"No-" Father said. Father's voice was cold as artic winds, though we were used to it, he was never kind, especially to the vampires. He was cut off shortly by Rigr.

"How long will it take?" Rigr asked, almost to a point where it sounded like he was commanding Father; even I knew that Father was far above us in age, skills, and experience, none of us dared to use that tongue against him.

Rigr was the man who spent the most time with Father but he had never learnt to hold his tongue and that he was not equal to him. It was easy to see that. Father was the first dweller of our kind.

"Know your place Rigr Stafford..." Father coldly inputed, not even bothering to answer his question. His eyes slanted in cold, frozen anger.

"Father..please don't leave us..." I said on the verge of breaking into tears. I was very young then so I hadn't really matured enough to be in such a mature state of mind as the rest of my 'family'. He looked down on me, his white hood covering most of his upper face and just whispered a single sentence to me-

"You will eventually understand" He mysteriously muttered. He handed me a small key and told us he had wrote special letters to all of us, he leaned down to my height once again and said 'have faith in yourself, always improve, make me proud'.

Even though I was naive at the time, I knew Father was just pretending to care for me, he would never write letters to use, not even to me. He hadn't reacted to the pleas of Krul and I to not leave either.

"Say goodbye to Ashe-Asuramaru...this is the last time you'll ever see him like this ever again...he will become a 'demon for our future'" Father said.

He said his farewells to his sired vampires and I and started to walk away with Ashera, His long cape flowing in the harsh winds with Ashera following. We had said our goodbyes as well but I couldn't accept that Father wouldn't be coming back after a day or two. I wanted to run towards him and Ashera and hug both of them bawling, but I wouldn't dare.

Krul dared though. She ran and hugged her older sibling, her twin, her partner she grew up with since birth. She crumpled on the ground with tears in her eyes; I was the only one to help her up, Urd and Lest simply followed me to Krul, while Gabel and Saito simply stared at Father and Ashera.

When I had looked to where Father and Ashera were, they were gone. Krul had taken her long dress and wiped my face with it, she had cried too; no doubt she already had started to miss her blood sibling.

A lost twin.

It was incomparable. Krul would truly suffer.

The rest of the day I spent sulking, still not understanding why Father had took Ashera and left. It reminded me too much of my birth father, he had abandoned me when I was just a child, seven years ago. He had named me Mary...but Urd and the rest of my siblings had named me differently...my name was Maria Alisa Selina.

Maria was a variant of the name 'Mary'. In Russia which many people believed it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some people also use the alternative definitions which are "rebellion" and "mistress or lady of the sea."

I was trying to think of other things beside Father and Ashera's leaving.

On more depressing matters Krul was also in a mopey and deprived mood, and all the guys had left us alone smartly.

I knew everyone felt at least somewhat betrayed by Father, but I with all my life I spent with my family, Father had never really had much interest from all his vampire spawns beside Ashera and I; (He had some sort of soft spot for me too but then again I wasn't a vampire).

I guess I wasn't worthy of Father's love. I didn't need any fancy toys or earthly possessions, I just wanted Father to come back, for him to tell me why all of a sudden he took off with Ashera, mumbling confusing, intricate sentences.

Krul and I sat next to each other, my head in her lap, and her hugging my upper torso. The rest of day wasn't eventful at all. Our home had a 'gloom' over it and not even I, the cheerful child of the family was chipper.

Eventually over time my vampire siblings had all separated in a span of many years; it could've been a year to a hundred. It had turned out I wasn't just some ordinary freak of nature...I didn't age like a normal human child.

After some time I had unlocked my pair of wings, pure white wings, wings didn't form on any creature any one of my family had ever known. Some people had called me an angel... These people had disappeared. What if this 'phenomenon' broke out, I would be a treasure...a nice little trophy and so I learned how to control my powers, so that I wouldn't have a target on my back from those greedy humans.

The people who had known about my secret had seemingly vanished but I didn't doubt that my family wouldn't let any people with loose lips know about my 'little secret'.

I waited and waited...for him to come back...but he never did. I waited silently for him to come back but he never did, even when one by one the others had given up on him and him ever coming back. I'm a good girl aren't I? Then why did you leave me? I changed myself just for you...

Just..you...wait, 'Father'.... I'll show you how much I've changed.

You'll pay.