Hypotenuse

A/N: All right! This is my first Seraph of the End fic, and I have only read bits and pieces of the light novels, meaning I have EXTREMELY limited knowledge of the relationship between Guren, Shinya, and Mahiru. Not to mention I've only read volumes one through eight of the main manga, although I am in touch with several spoilers. Please forgive me if the characterization is completely wrong.

The story reads correctly to me, but it might not read correctly to somebody who is familiar with the dynamics of Guren, Shinya, and Mahiru. Also, this fic can take place pretty much whenever you want in an alternate continuation where Mahiru didn't turn into a demon (and it isn't really explained why this is possible in the fic pssh), but I like the pretend this takes place two years after the events of the light novels.

One last thing: I actually meant to write more, but at the time of posting this I'm getting ready to go away to sleep-away camp for a week, meaning I don't really have time to finish this the way I want to. This may or may not be continued.

...

He is overwhelmed by the scent of fragrant flowers, and on any other day it might be able to pass for some type of natural aromatherapy, but today it does not. Looking around at the elaborate decorations adorning the gorgeous garden makes a repulsively saccharine flavor override all other tastes in his mouth. The attendees, the meaningless chatter assaulting his ears from every possible angle, each small detail makes this event feel no better than a plague.

If it had been his choice-if it had been an option-Shinya would not have been present at this wedding. He glances over at the gigantic cake, formal but still beautiful, frosted white with adornments a diluted light blue. Normally, he would be wondering how to sneak a taste of the delicacy, as he is not above indulging in excessive amounts of sugar. Unfortunately, at this specific point in time, the only thing he could possibly do to such a cake is vomit on it.

Mahiru looks wonderful tonight, although Shinya will not even consider complimenting her. Her dress is elegant and classic, sleekly framing her figure and draping her with untainted white, purer than Mahiru herself could ever hope to be. The gown is flattering to her already-astounding appearance, and she knows it; she's walking around with her shoulders back and chin up, as if she is a queen. A ruler of something important. Which, Shinya supposes, she is.

But Shinya won't let his eyes stray to Guren. Not unless Guren approaches him, which is absolutely a rare occurrence at a gathering of this nature, so focused on Guren and Mahiru's unition. And no matter what the circumstances are, Shinya will not allow himself to take in how delightful Guren looks tonight. This is a rule, even if his gaze ends up sweeping over Guren for a single, brief second. It can't affect his demeanor in any way, shape or form.

The male Hiragi smiles politely whenever somebody looks his way, fidgeting idly with his fingers. Infrequently, he will be urged to speak as well, in which case he will simply give the most expected and accepted of responses. His own emotions don't have a place at the wedding of Guren Ichinose and Mahiru Hiragi. They're too personal, too worthless, and in spite of the fact that he doubts he would receive any in the first place, Shinya does not want anyone's pity.

He should be celebrating, and he grinds his teeth together in frustration as he realizes he's despising himself more and more every second he isn't. Just for now, just for now, can't he push away his regrets, swallow his pride, and participate in this lovely rendezvous? Can't he have his eyes settle on Mahiru without feeling a cold flash of rage? On Guren without the yearning gnawing at him from the inside?