prologue

Love is a reckless game;

it's not always black and white.

Dreamcatcher's Dami as herself;
Lee Yoobin

Dreamcatcher's Dami as herself; Lee Yoobin

Kim Yoohyeon as her best friend

Jeon Jungkook as the one who proved her wrong

Narrator

one fine day in 2002

The young girl's feet pattered across the hallway of the cramped apartment. Returning from school after an exhausting day, she reached for the dinosaur fridge magnet to secure her drawing to the metallic door.

'Exhausting' perhaps wasn't the most appropriate word to describe the curriculum for six year olds. Yet, in her case, the academic demands were already beginning to wear away her soul. She was a dreamer in short; she spent her mornings daydreaming and her nights fulfilling those dreams.

With the help of an array of rainbow crayons, her lunch break was spent designing a masterpiece. Punching the straw through the rigid carton, she sipped on strawberry milk as she observed her creation. Her wide almond eyes critiqued the image with precision.

The smooth sheet of paper portrayed a stereotypical drawing. A sapphire blue sky featured in the background, below it stood tufts of viridescent grass. Four figures occupied the foreground, a tall man with bushy hair and large glasses, a slim woman with luscious cascading hair. Beside them stood a young boy, whose smile radiated like sunshine. Lastly, a plucky young girl with dark pigtails. All four people held hands in unison; like a perfect happy family.

Back in reality, the girl's life wasn't so idyllic. It had begun. She cowered in a corner, underneath the glass dining table.
They were shouting again. She had become accustomed to the wrath fuelled outbursts.

The brash, venom filled words penetrated her eardrums —though she tried her best to drown the noise out.
For a brief moment, there was relief. The argument ceased for a few seconds of satisfying silence.

Once she deemed it was safe to do so, the child dislodged her fingers from her ears apprehensively. To her discontent, she was met with the jarring sound of an almighty crash.
Despair filled her heart with knowing the distinct noise which followed —the shattering of glass.

She sprinted into the living room as fast as her petite feet could carry her, almost colliding with jagged glass crystals. Her brother had to restrain her once she saw the scene. The once perfect crystal chess set, now lay discarded on the floor. Without restraint, she would have unwisely tried to fix the broken remnants of the object she so adored. The queen had been beheaded.

Both children held one another close, for comfort. They listened to the words exchanged between the distant voices at the front door. Although the shouting had surpassed, the worst was yet to come.

"I don't love you anymore."

An eerie silence filled the apartment on that winter afternoon. Not even the gentle thump of slow hearts beating was distinguishable.

"B-but you promised...it was going to be us...forever," the woman's voice began to crack.

"forever doesn't exist." He spat callously.

"What about our vows? Do they mean nothing? In sickness and in health, what about our children?" She was close to tears.

"I'll be leaving now. Don't worry, you'll never have to see me again." He concluded, completely disregarded the questions.

Without looking back, he exited the family home. Leaving them with only the echoing thud of the door slamming as a reminder.

Within seconds, the woman broke down. Sinking to her knees as she cradled her forlorn head in her hands. Uncontrollable wailing followed, as her pent up sorrows dispersed. Now she was free to express them uninhibited.

The children watched on in disquiet; blinking innocently. They approached their mother carefully, like they would with a wounded animal. Only the boy, at ten years of age was old enough to understand.

Introductory Author's note

Hello my lovely readers! Whether you're new; or have read my work before, I hope you'll enjoy this fanfic.
My books are plotted as a series, with subtle references strewn in to each other, across all the books I've planned. Though, you technically don't need to read the others in order to follow the stories. I advise you to read Soilmates first, as its ending may be spoiled through later chapters of this fanfiction.

I also stan many groups, and therefore my fanfictions tend to include many idols. The protagonist of this one being Dami, one of the rappers of dreamcatcher. It will also include members of rookie groups A.C.E as supporting characters. You do not have to be a fan of these groups to follow the storyline! If you like, just imagine they are regular original characters.

This story, tonally will be very different to Soilmates, which is rather lighthearted and idealistic. Checkmate is intended to be more gritty and realistic, perhaps dismal at times.
Caution is advised if you are sensitive to the following topics: divorce, bullying, bereavement, age gaps, stalking and young carers.

© rachreya 2017

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the people, media or pictures mentioned! This is written purely for entertainment, non profit purposes and all rights go to the respective owners. This is a work of fiction and not intended to reflect the actions of any real people that the characters are based on.

I reserve all rights to the plot and writing, which is my original intellectual property. This book must not be republished, distributed or translated in any form without prior permission given by the author.

Started: 14th October 2017
Finished: