Life

Time passes and life just isn't the same after the incident. Everything changed. People don't believe me, but I know things are different. You wouldn't expect one person'a death to change so much in such a little bit of time.

One day I just woke up and realized that since then, nothing will ever be normal again.
Life changes in an instant. He was so carefree and wild, but now everything is so plain and... Silent.

Rakan loved singing. He could hear it in nature. I dragged him into something that he didn't deserve to be dragged into. He was perfect.

Rakan was special.

"Xayah, are you sure about this?" He asked with such a concerned look that it made my heart hurt at the thought of the danger I was throwing him into.

My heart breaking then couldn't amount to what I was feeling right now.

"I love you, meilla." He smiled at me with the care free smile, but I could still see concern in his eyes. He always had it, but the concern was for me...

"You alright?" The bartender asked. It was a bar that Rakan and I frequented.

"Yeah.." I kept my cool. My voice couldn't shake now. No one, but him had ever seen me break down before.

"Where's Rakan? It's quiet here without him." That question made me throw money on the bar, probably more than enough for the cheap ale, and left.

He's right, it is quiet. For a month now I hadn't been able to wash the blood off my feathers.

His blood.

It took rain to wash it away. An endless downpour that I want to believe was his sadness. He was so in tune with nature.

He sung every song of sadness that the forests around us felt with every death; every death that he caused he didn't want, nor did the soil to take in corrupted blood from those who are taking its magic away.

"Xayah, I can't see you die. Plus black is totally a bad colour on me. We'll be okay. I believe in your plan." He assured and held me close, wrapping his cloak of golden peacock feathers around me.

"Repeat it to me. Please.." I said softly.

"We are not like them." He whispered in my ear and nuzzled me softly. "We are not like them."

I'd wondered into the woods and saw nothing, but trees, bushes, and bugs. I wish I could hear what he did. I picked up a few pebbles and tried to juggle them like he would always do. It was pretty easy. It made me smile, but I had to focus on what I was doing. He so fluidly just did whatever he wanted. He could dance doing this, sing and even taunt enemies.

Rakan was perfect. I shouldn't have gone after that relic. I knew Zed's student was hanging around. I hadn't expected him to be so strong. Nor had he.

"Xayah!" Rakan yelled, dashing towards me. Urgency filled his voice to the brim.

I looked over and I saw him coming; Zed's student.

It was almost all over in a flash.

Rakan threw him into the air and yelled at me to run. I had never seen him like that. He was already cut up, limping. His magic was slowly depleting.

Had he been using it to fight?

Rakan pushed me into the woods and I watched as the demonic looking scythe went into his chest. He looked me right in the eye, smiled and hit the ground as the male pulled the blade out.

"R-run.." I heard him rasp. I couldn't believe it. My shock turned into anger quickly. I threw my quills at the male and did my best to pull him out and away from Rakan. He had to have a chance.

It's Rakan. He can't die. He knows that if he dies, I'm going to have a Necromancer bring him back just so I can murder him again for it.

He would be so happy to see me though.. He would embrace me and tell of how glad he was and probably shower me in affection and joy.

My thoughts didn't block me from seeing that the male had retreated since he couldn't catch up to me. I was too fast in the trees.

I turned around and the male with the scythe was right in front of me. "Hi." He said in a cocky tone with a smirk that just shouted confidence to the brim.

Rakan did it better. He always will.

I didn't answer and readied my feathers. I was prepared to pierce him through the heart and burn him alive for hurting what is mine. Rakan is smart so he shouldn't have died or gotten hurt. He was perfect and this monster killed hi- no he's alive. He's too smart for that.

Half of this male was in the shadows. I could only get a good look at half of his face.

"You're lucky. Master Zed wants to deal with you. Your friend, not so much." The confident smirk turned blood thirsty. "He was a fun one." He laughed and disappeared into the shadows.

I ran back to where I had left Rakan and he wasn't there. Nothing was left but a few bloodied feathers, his shredded red cloak and his broken pocket mirror.

No blood trail.

Nothing at all.

I knelt down and just cried into the bloodied cloak. I couldn't lose him. I'll find him. I told him to stay where he was and I would always find him. He knows the bars in town. He would go there.. Right?

Wrong.

I put the bag over my shoulder with his cloak, hand mirror and feathers. I will always keep it close.

As I traveled I became lonely. Anger boiled in my blood and I wanted vengeance on that brat, but Rakan was still out there. If not, I would have found his body... Hopefully.

I came upon a town and heard a lot of noise. I moved through the crowd and in the middle I saw an unbelievable sight. One that I will never forget.

He was there.

He had bandages and a new red cloak on. He was singing the song that I heard when we met.

When he finished and the crowd dispersed, I pulled him aside and hugged him tightly. I was more comfortable in the shadows of the alley.

"Rakan!" I cried and held him close. "What happened? Where did you go?"

"Xayah! Your lips are a different shade of purple today. What colour is it? Dark lavender? It's pretty on you. Did you do something different with your hair?"

"Rakan! What happened?"

"I blacked out and befriended a treant who is pretty friendly. He was a hippie though. He had this golems friend too.." I let him ramble as he held me close.

"You scared me!" I yelled at him when he finished his rant, or got really off topic at least.

"Sorry! He was really friendly. He helped me get back on my feet. No idea where he came from either. I just wondered off and found a town. So I assumed that if I sung enough, my beautiful voice would lure you in."

He smiled at me carefree, once again.

Life really does change quick. I just stayed in his arms and said nothing and nodded along. He enjoyed all the attention and I was happy to give it to him.

I'll never lose him again. Every woman wants Rakan, but no one would be able to deal with him for too long. He's entertaining. I've never had a full conversation with him either.

My leg is his. It almost ended the day he was gone.

My life can stay where it is. Just for now.

Rakan smiled down at me. "I fluffed my feathers this morning and straightened my cloak. I made sure to do it even more. I tried this new thing with my hair, just slightly spiked to the left. You like? Your eyes are so shiny. The clouds are so nice here. I saw an eggplant in one once.." He rambled and I couldn't help, but smile.