𝑰

The sound of loud laughter rang in her ears as she looked down at the beverage that sat in front of her. She let out a sigh, grabbing the handle of the mug and chugging down the bitter liquid that felt cold in her throat. She let out a sigh of satisfaction, placing the empty mug down.

“Arlotus... Another drink for me please... ” The woman said, pulling out a small pouch of coins from her pocket. The bartender shook his head, taking the wooden mug away,

“No, you’ve drunken too much.” He eyed the girl, cleaning up the mug with a rag. “You don't even look like a woman with those clothes on. That hood is covering up that pretty face of yours.”

“They were my father's”

Arlotus let out a sigh, “It's been about a month now. You should quit drinking and start sobering up.” The woman shook her head. “No, no. I’m fine.” She laid her head on the table, closing her eyes. 

There was a slam, signaling that a customer had walked in. His boots shook the ground as he made his way over to the bar. The man spoke, his voice rough and deep, “Arlotus, I'm buying some ale for me and the men over there. Here are your coins.”  The woman cracked one eye open, watching as the heavily built man pulled out a large pouch. The bartender served the man his ale, and the man walked off to a table close by.

“I heard about your brother.” One of younger men said. The older, tough looking man placed the drinks down in the center of the table. “We don't talk about that. The fool went around looking for the tomb of the devil.” He sat down, reaching for his drink. “The bastard actually believes he rests with us here.” The younger man looked down, looking at another friend who sat beside him. He looked like the oldest one in the bunch. “Better for us that he left. Why have a heretic like that around?”

It was silent for a moment before the tough looking male spoke, “I’m afraid for his safety. He went looking for the tomb of... ” He looked down at his drink, speaking in a lower voice, “the son of Dracula.”

At this, the woman stood up walking towards the table of men in her drunken state. “You say... Son of Dracula...?” She spoke sloppily, spilling the drink on the man’s lap as she tried to keep her balance.

“Bloody hell... You spilled it all over me, you drunk fool.” The man stood up, towering over the girl. She hiccuped, “I beg your... Pardon... I heard something about the... ” She paused, watching as the man prepared to give her a punch but her instincts kicked in, and she ducked. The other two males quickly scrambled to help their friend, and they got hold of the woman. She struggled, the men's grip on her was tight.

The tough looking man chuckled, “Let us see this fool.” He pulled down the hood of the girl, his eyes wide. He clicked his tongue and let her hood go. “How disgusting... Let her go... No point wasting our time on some woman.”
The two men let the girl go, and she prepared to start the fight up again, her hands balling up into fists but Arlotus kicked her out, “I told you it was enough, Aileen. Go home, rest.” The door shut behind her and she let out a sigh, walking away from the pub. “Guess I have to find that damn tomb on my own.”

“Quickly! We must hurry!”
The town's people scurried as they tried to escape the creatures of the night but all in vain.

“Aileen, quickly...” A male spoke, picking up the small toddler and holding her close. “Matilda... How much longer, my love? We must leave now.” The woman had sacks packed, “This is everything for you and our daughter. You two should leave. Would be best... I still have things to do here.” The woman spoke softly, walking up to her husband and taking his hand in hers. 

“Dracula's creatures are already here. Let us leave together.” He spoke calmly, but tears ran down his cheeks. “Nicholas... Run, don't risk the life of our daughter.” She gave his hand a gentle squeeze before pulling away. “I promise I'll meet with you.” She said, leaning forward to kiss her husband on the lips softly.

The toddler turned to look at her mother, the sight of the child bringing tears to her eyes. “Nicholas... You have to go. You have to go.”

“Oh, God.” Aileen bent over, throwing up all over the dirt road. She used her sleeve to clean her mouth. “Perhaps I did drink too much.” She let out a groan, walking in the direction of her home. 

She opened up the door with a loud creak. “Father, I have returned.” Aileen spoke out but silence was her only reply. “Oh, that's right.” She frowned, closing the door behind her. “Well, I'm really tired so time to hit the shit pile.”