Pundrik and Vithoba

Ya Mata pitarau klesham sahete Sambhave nrunam ||

Na Tasya Nishkruti: shakya kartim varshtairap ||

(MANU SMRUTI 2/227)

The pain and stress that parents bare on birth

A child cannot repay debt by serving them ages worth

Do you know why parents are called 'Gods on Earth' ? We have lots of stories in our Vedic literature.

Let's know our prestigious Universal Indian culture...

Whenever you visit India do visit South India. In South part of India on the bank of River Chandrabhaga there is a temple of Vithoba and a temple of devotee Pundalik just five hundred yards away from the temple of Vithoba.

Once Pundalik went to Kashi one of the holy place in North for the salvation of livings with his wife .At that time travelers have to stay in the Ashrama of the Rishi. Pudalik was staying in the Ashram of Rishi Kukkut. One day he saw Ganga Yamuna and Saraswati serving Rishi Kukkut and doing humble job for Him. Pundalik was surprised to see them serving great Rishi as they are serving people with their abundant water in the form of holy rivers and considered as holy rivers. People come to them to be free from their sins. And lo! Here they are serving RIshi! With the feeling of great honor Pundalik bow down to trio-mother but they moved back their legs and told Pundalik that he should not touch them as 'He is full of Sin' .When asked by Pundalik they made it clear that ;You are foolish because instead of serving your parents in old age you came to Kashi to be free from the bondage of your karma .How could you get any fruit of your pilgrim by taking bath in the holy rivers when you have not performed your duties to your parents? We come here to serve Rishi to be free from the sin that we accumulate when people bath in our water and get purified by abandoning their sins in our water. You better go home and serve your parents first.'

Pundalik returned home and since then he used to serve his parents with due care and love .God Vithoba was pleased with his affectionate services to his parents and came to visit him personally at his home. Pundalik was busy serving his parents at that time when he saw Lord Vithoba standing at the door of his house , he threw a brick lying nearby for Vithoba to wait for a while because he did not want to leave his parents service uncompleted to attend and welcome God. When he finished his task, he bow down to Lord Vithoba and prayed with a nice stuti (prayer). Lord Vithoba was pleased and told him to demand whatever he wished for himself. Devotee Pudalik prayed God Vithoba that he could serve his parents nicely and prayed him to live with him in his home forever. God blessed him and gave a boon that it would be as he wished (Tathastu).

Even today we can see Vithoba standing on the brick thrown by devotee Pundalik. Lord Vithoba and devotee Pundarik's temples were built and Samadhi of Pundarik's parents are also preserved near the temples. Every year the temples are visited by travelers and both are worshipped by crores of visitors with the sound of PUNDALIK VARDE HARI VITTHAL

Moral : Serve thy parents...

Would you like to know more stories from Indian Cultural History?

Let's share.....