SHATTER

PROLOGUE

_________

Anne Markham was miserable. Her husband Greg was never home to help her in her pregnant days, he was always out dealing our doing drugs. The only time Anne actually felt safe was when Greg wasn't home. He was abusive; always pushing her around and slapping her whenever she didn't do as told.

Whenever Greg came home he was high, or drunk, whatever came first. As soon as Anne would here the car pull in she would rush upstairs to pretend she was sleeping- the only way to stay under his radar.

Soon enough Anne felt neglected. Greg no longer loved her like he used to. As far as Anne knew he was probably with other woman when he was out. Anne wanted Greg to love her again, but she was terrified that one day he'd get angrier and hurt their baby.

Greg and Anne were broke. The more he was out the more money they lost. Anne knew she wouldn't be able to provide for this baby, especially with a vanishing husband. Divorce was not a choice for her, much to expensive. So Anne decided she'd stand up to Greg.

One night Greg came home to find Anne sitting on the front porch, waiting for him. "What the hell do you want?" He slurred, his breathe thick with the smell of liquor. His dark eyes were bloodshot and glossy as he stared her down. Anne told Greg he needed to improve his behaviour before their baby arrived, threatening that she would leave him- though she knew that wasn't a choice.

Greg didn't like her sudden boost of confidence, so he did what he does best. Greg slapped his wife right across her left cheek sending her off the porch. Little did both of them know, seconds later Anne would go into labour.

That night in Toronto Anne gave birth to a healthy baby girl named Brooklyn. Brooklyn was pre mature but had her mothers eyes. That was the only thing Brooklyn got from her mother, before she died minutes after giving birth.

Brooklyn was forced to live with her abusive father without her brave mother by her side. As the years grew on Greg hurt Brooklyn even more.

Greg blamed his wife's death all on Brooklyn, saying that he did indeed love her and that neither of them wanted a baby, that Brooklyn was an accident. But she wasn't. At the time both of them were thrilled to find out they were going to have a baby. Brooklyn knew her farther didn't feel bad about her mother death- he couldn't. His heart it painted black.

Brooklyn tried her best in school, hoping that one she'd get a scholarship to a university far away from her dad.

And she did. Brooklyn received a letter from the University of Melbourne. On the other side of the world.

So Brooklyn packed and left her tiny house as fast as she could to start her new life in Melbourne Australia.