- 3 ✿.

[mai: i'm tired of white people telling me that my culture doesn't exist

[mai: i'm tired of white people telling me that my culture doesn't exist. it's real and it's always gon' be real.]

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
daily culture quote: ❝i freed a thousand slaves. i could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves...❞
—harriet tubman
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

okay, but honestly, people seem to believe that African-American culture doesn't exist and that only African culture does. first of all, oh great blackologist, thank you so much for telling me about my culture.

apparently door-knocker earrings and the hip-hop era doesn't count as culture.

african slaves were forced to assimilate to the white people around them meaning that they had to attempt at remaking traditions from their home country with the materials that they had in America. fast-forward to the Tigon Laws of 1786 in which black women in Louisiana were forced to cover their hair with headdresses and scarves because it wasn't seen as appropriate to wear your OWN HAIR in public.

funny how that still happens today, huh? apparently they believed that black women showing their hair would cause for white women to be jealous. it was apparently to minimize the black woman's beauty.

lol, our hair doesn't make us beautiful but it most definitely adds onto our beauty.

fast-forward to the civil rights to hip-hop era in which black people were more proud of their African roots while also making a culture of their own. durags, door-knockers, our own language, etc. don't say that it doesn't exist so that you can steal it.

which reminds me, Mike Vick, a black football player said that Colin Kaepernick needs to cut his hair before he returns to football.

i don't see why he needs to cut his hair to better his image. i don't see a correlation between hair and professionalism.

and...Michael, weren't you sent to jail for dog fighting? so shouldn't you be worrying about your image more than you're working about Kaepernick's?

✿ what are your thoughts on African-American culture? do you believe that it exists?

✿ what are your thoughts on Vick's statements? do you think that Kaepernick should cut off his hair to maintain his image?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

thank you so much for reading and supporting this account! your life matters and it always will matter. one love,

— mai ✿