Solace of the Sunrise

Chapter Five

Solace of the Sunrise

The next morning dawned clear and warm, and Vicky was awakened by sunlight slanting onto her face.  Vicky yawned, looked around the room, and then remembered where she was.  Panicking, she checked the clock on the dresser.  Although it had stood so cold and serious in the light of last night's moon, in the sun its wood looked warm and its face cheery.  Its lacy bronze hands reassured her she hadn't overslept, it was only seven thirty.  Vicky got out of bed and dressed, listening to the clock's soft ticking and the birds trilling outside. 

            When she was finished, she surveyed her outfit in the mirror.  She was wearing a grey wool dress that stopped just past the knee, a grey headband in her long black hair, and short, dark blue heels.  The dress was one of her favorites.  It was sleeveless, with eight dark blue buttons down the front arranged in two rows of four, and a matching blue bow at its modest neckline.  Around her left wrist, of course, was her silver bracelet.  It was the only piece of jewelry she owned, besides a small silver ring on her right hand.  She ran a brush through her hair one last time and made her bed before she left, tucking the sheets in and making sharp folds as she had been taught to do in the foundling home. 

            When she got downstairs, she was drawn to the kitchen door by the clink of dishes and the chatter of voices.  She opened the door to find the Collins family sitting around the table, with sunlight filtering through the beech tree's leaves and falling onto a fine white tablecloth and a spread of ham, scrambled eggs, muffins, and a large cut glass bowl of fruit salad.  She smiled as they all turned to her. 

            "Good morning!" she exclaimed brightly. 

            "Why, good morning Miss Winters, I didn't expect to see you downstairs so early.  Sit down and have something to eat," said Mrs. Stoddard.  She was wearing a black, quarter-sleeve dress, her hair pulled back in an ornate bun.

            "Thank you," said Vicky, smiling at Roger and Carolyn.  Roger nodded curtly and helped himself to a generous helping of ham, but Carolyn supplied her with a warmer greeting. 

            "Good morning Vicky!  I'm so glad you're awake, I want to show you around Collinwood!"  Carolyn smoothed her platinum hair.  "Here, have some food, you're looking too thin.  I don't think they fed you enough in that foundling home!"

            Vicky laughed.  "I certainly didn't eat like this," she said, scooping some of everything onto her china plate and taking a seat.  "This looks delicious.  May I ask who cooked it?  I remember being told that there was no help except for...Mathew..."  Vicky shivered slightly as last night's memories came back to her.  She wondered if Mathew had told Mrs. Stoddard that Vicky had snuck into the basement yet.  She glanced at Mrs. Stoddard, but her expression was unreadable, she looked as regal and contained as ever as she answered Vicky.

            "Carolyn purchased it in town yesterday and I prepared it. We don't often eat like this, but seeing as we have a guest I thought it would be a pleasant gesture."

            "It's more than pleasant, it's delicious!" said Carolyn cheerfully, serving herself a second helping.  Vicky was still wondering about Carolyn's empty bed.  She opened her mouth to ask her about it, but stopped, wondering if she ought to mention it in front of the others before she spoke to Carolyn privately. 

            It was then that she noticed one of the chairs was empty. 

            "Where's David?" she asked, unsure whether to be disappointed or relieved at his absence.