Awakened From the Dark

Alm hadn't expected to be pulled back into fighting so soon after the conflict between Zofia and Rigel, but it seemed only natural that one born and raised to fight wouldn't be able to avoid it for so long. And his requirements in this world weren't nearly as great as they were back in his world. He pulled his weight as equally as everyone else and it gave him the chance to meet many different warriors he would otherwise never be able to meet. But there was a degree of comfort in having his friends there with him as well. New faces were always enjoyable, but familiar faces were a delight. And now that more of them had been summoned recently, things were feeling a lot more like home.

Right now, Alm was relaxing with Gray, Tobin, Faye and Clair in one of the many rooms of the castle. Celica, Saber, Sonya and Leon were with Alfonse and the others on a special mission. It wasn't clear on what it was, but it sounded pretty important.

"Okay, so, how about this," Gray started up, "Which of the lords here do you think could kick Alm's butt?"

Alm chuckled, "Why me specifically?"

"Uh, you took down a God. Need I say more? So, which one?"

"How should we know?" Tobin answered, "We haven't really had a chance to see just how strong some of the other warriors here are."

"I dunno, Tobe. I've only been here for a few days and I'm already scared of that Ike guy. Have you seen hi arms? He could snap you like a twig."

"Ha! I'd love to see him try. Who could take down a guy with muscles like this?" He flexed his arms.

"Literally anyone."

"You two are focusing so much on brute strength," Clair spoke, having finished her cup of tea, "But strength can only get one so far. One needs strategic planning and a cunning wit to outsmart their opponent. In that case, I'd be most fearful if Alm came into conflict with lady Lyn. How she battles is a true sight to behold."

"Can we please not talk about other people beating up Alm?" Faye said.

"Don't worry, Faye. I don't think I'm gonna get into a fight with anyone here."

"Unless you get on the bad side of one of the baddies Alfonse and his friends have freely walking around here."
Tobin lightly punched Gray's arm, "Do you have to ruin every conversation?"

"It is kinda my job."

"Then I think you need to look for a new one."

The group couldn't help but laugh when a knock suddenly came at the door before it opened slightly and Celica poked her head in.

"Oh, Alm, there you are."

"Hey Celica. Did you guys finish the mission?"

"Yes. Alfonse asked me to come get you. We found someone."

"You found someone?" Gray asked.

"Oh, right, you're still new here, Gray. I'll explain. Sometimes Anna detects the presence of someone close to the border between Askr and Embla. They can't risk anyone else falling into the hands of princess Veronica, so they intercept and recruit the warrior to our side so they can stay safe and out of her grasp."

"Okay, I get it. I'm all caught up now."

"Anyway," Alm continued the previous conversation, "It must have been important for us to know if he asked you come get me. Who did you find?"

There was strong fear and hesitation on her face and voice as she spoke, "... Berkut."

An unbelievable feeling of dread and shock immediately filled the room the moment the name was spoken.