The Beginning

I hold my mother as the car passes a huge crowd of protesters. They're screaming and standing completely still as the wardens push them down and hand cuffs a few of them. Some are being beaten, others running out of fear as the wardens let the dogs chase after them.     
  Many people of the rural part of Zena know that after a killing of a gifted to stay indoors, as the others who will want to fight tend to come out. Although the wardens are very prepared for even the darkest of spells performed by the gifted ones. They have been perfected this technology since the breakout of the so called "nots" during the mass perfection almost 15 years ago.
  I focus back on my mom. A huge gun shot goes off in the distance and I grip my mother tightly. I hear her let out a small cry and I hold her like if it was my last few moments with her.
"It is okay mother, they are not coming for us." I whisper and lay my chin on the top of her head. Oregon is one of the worst for us gifted. Many towns around Salem is where the wardens watch the heaviest as that is where we originate from.
  Today, how ever is when we leave this cruel town. My mother, a full level 4 gifted and for me, well I'm not too sure what I am but I know I need to watch over my mother as she is getting quite old. Ever since the mass perfection she hasn't been able to get her hands on an anti aging spell so her true age had been starting to show slowly. She's lived for almost 300 years. Which is so far away from the age she should be before she is able to start to show her true age. Her life may be coming to end, but I'm going to make sure that day is not today.
  The driver looks in the rear view mirror. Only high class norms are able to get cars nowadays but lucky for me Flynn has been able to get a job at a small business. Flynn has been a family friend ever since I was born. He simply owes my mother a favor and this is it. Taking us to a small town far away so we can get better and really start to spread our way of magic that way it will not complete disappear when we die.
  More gunshots go off and Flynn looks at us again and says,
  "Get down on the floor boards, you must not be seen." I look at my mother.
  "What about her?" I kiss the top of her head, her body is showing about late 60s or early 70s.
  "They will think I'm bringing her to aid, don't worry." He reassures me. I sigh and lay her on her side and get on the floorboards and put a fleece blanket over me as the car comes to a slow stop.
  "Why hello officers." I heard Flynn say. There is brief mumbling and then he speaks again.
  "Thank you boys, I'll make sure Xander hears about you two." He says as I hear rumble and the car starts again. I stay down, until all I hear is the car rumbling over a gravel road. I sit back up and balance my mother on me and hold onto her. Flynn looks at us and smiles,
"Where to?" I smile and look back.
"Somewhere were we won't have to worry."
He nods and we continue to drive farther from the place I have been for the past years of my life.
"Goodbye." I whisper before leaning my head against hers and drifting off to sleep.