I reach out at the fleeting shadows, holding back a sob. "Wait! Come back! I need you!" My cries go unheeded, and I collapse on the ground. I bury my face into my hands, my muffled weeping filling the silence. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Do not cry, for we are with you," my close friends stood before me.... all five of them. "You said you hated me," I sobbed again. "And you are perfectly right.... we do hate you. We hate you, your life, your work. We hate you... you are toxic, a waste of time. An attention whore, a freak. We keep you around only to please society and the people around us who pity you," the shadow reached out to caress my face, wiping away tears. "We keep you because without us, you would be dead! A pathetic little girl," a sudden kick to the ribs, "no friends," -a slap to the face- "a slut," -a broken nose- "a freak," -a knife to the back- "a lonely, whiny bitch." I laid on the ground, unable to get up. "Do us a favor and die already," they circled me. T-they started laughing. Stop. Stop. STOP. Make it stop. MAKE IT STOP. MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKEITSTOPMAKEITSTOPMAKEITSTOP! I held myself and cried, rocking back and forth. The laughing was all around me, even after they faded into the gloom. I opened my eyes to see a light, a small light. I reached for it, and my hand closed around sharp metal. I whined and held my hand. It was cut. I picked up the knife from the table. "Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. DO IT. DO IT. DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT!!!!" The voices chanted in my head. I held the knife, and put it close to my wrist. "STOP!" Something tackled me, wrestling the knife from my grip. It skidded across the room, lost to the darkness. The thing didn't let go. It held me tight, but not to hurt me. It made all the voices stop, the pain go away. "Don't hurt yourself. Instead, come with me. We'll get you better friends. We'll hang out. I won't ever leave you," the thing said. I turned and saw it wasn't a thing. It was a person. A person who shone with light, happiness, and life. I faced this person, the happiness that radiated from him. "You don't know what I've been through," I said simply, no emotions left in me. "But I have," the person said, and held out their arms. They were covered in scars... just like mine.