ch 18. she tastes like sugar

Abby gave him a small grateful smile before looking for seat 13 now. "That's a lucky number right?" She settled into her seat and looked out the window to see dark rain clouds in all directions. The weather worried her but she swallowed her fear as a large lump in her throat. "I wonder if it's too late to switch my seat again. Preferably one that isn't on this plane." She felt a warm presence sit down beside her silently and it was a familiar sensation, Namjoon.

Abby wasn't feeling so lucky anymore. The universe always had a way of doing the opposite to her, but Abby wouldn't consider it special treatment. She kept her eyes on the clouds that flashed periodically sending shivers down her spine. In her mind she was beating Suga for switching seats with her, this was intentionally set up. "I could play dead but that won't be realistic enough...but it would be if I could get my hands on some ketchup- I don't have time to look for condiments!"

"Abby," Namjoon spoke softly. She hummed in response, her gaze remaining on the exterior of the plane. Rain started to trickle gently against the window. Abby wasn't expecting to encounter him so soon after their fight. Her heart weighed down in her chest making it difficult for her to breath. "Can you at least look at me?" Sure she was mad at him but she didn't forget her manners. Feeling rude for giving him her back, she politely turned to face him.

He was uncertain what to say. Namjoon also didn't think that their next conversation was going to be so sudden. There were barley any words he had previously prepared and the ones that he had practiced were nowhere to be found. So all he managed to croak out was a small,"I'm sorry."

"You were right," Abby pursed her lips with her arms crossed over her chest. She glared him dead in the eyes awaiting his snarky response. She was waiting to hear him cheer that he had known it all along but nothing left his parted lips.

"What?" He was dazed. Is she admitting that Jason is her boyfriend? After all this time she couldn't have just said this from the beginning. Namjoon wasn't sure how to feel with this. He had been expecting it but never thought he was even in the ball park of being right.

"What if you were right? You know, about me hiding my boyfriend? That is if I had one," Abby said putting Namjoon's mind to rest. She was simply pulling his chain to see him stir. So Jason isn't her boyfriend? That only muddled the situation, opening options that Namjoon hadn't even thought twice about. Now he could be everything from her brother to her old neighbor."Would that change things? Would you stop being friends with me if I had a boyfriend? Would you have never been friends with me from the start if you knew?"

Namjoon didn't answer which pissed Abby off. She thought about how ironic it was that he can sit around making accusations about her but as soon as Abby does the same thing to him, he has nothing else to say. "Answer me!" Abby exclaimed. They were less than a foot apart but Abby couldn't feel farther from him. She felt like losing him as a friend should be harder than this.

"You are aware that you asked me five questions! But no, I'd still be friends with you whether you had a boyfriend, a husband, or a f*cking gang," Namjoon shot back without hesitation as he starred at her right back in the eyes challenging her. She raised her eyebrow at his response.

"Then why would it be such a problem if I did have a boyfriend?!" Abby had the urge to start yelling but kept her voice low. Namjoon saw the upset look in her face and knew that being honest was the most appropriate way to deal with this.

Without resistance he began,"Because Abby, I l-"

Jin interjected practically throwing himself onto their laps to prevent Namjoon from completing his sentence. He stuttered furiously not knowing what to say but let any jumble of words leave his orfus,"Hey! I was just- um- So airplane food, am I right?"