Story #4: Co-workers

I have this...acquaintance who really is the awkwardest man alive. I am a person who loves to talk to people. Whenever I get the chance, I like to talk to people especially within my workplace since I work with them everyday. However, this guy never really talks. He got hired here as a secretary months ago and hasn't really talked to anyone except my boss, and only talks about his task and nothing else. He is an awkward fellow and silent at that. He seems more like a machine than an actual person. I'm not really sure how to feel about him.

One day, I decide to smoke a little up on the roof. Being that this building is only two stories in a one story suburban area, there is not really a sight to see: just fresh air and a breeze, which is better than the air conditioner inside the building. This guy comes up to the roof and just sits on the ground. I'm not sure he knew I was there, so I tried breaking the ice. "Having fun over there?" I asked him. Zoned out, he just stared towards the houses. I stared at him for a couple of seconds waiting for a response. Two or three minutes passed before I talked again. "The weather sure is nice here!" I exclaimed. No reaction.

I'm not sure how to feel about him. He does not talk except if it's task-related and stays silent when people talked to him. I wonder why he is like that?

Little did I know that he actually doesn't hear any words people say. He keeps his earphones in his ears and blasts music all day. What an awkward person he is.