Chapter 3: Play For Me

Up top shows the song that Quin plays on the piano. (once again this video is not mine and won't be used for profit. It is only being used to represent the current part of the story.)

Also, the chapter was not proofread. It will be later on. Sorry :D

*Xavier's P.O.V*

I simply could not fathom why this is such an arduous task. I have spent the last two hours trapped in my conference room with Clara my secretary, trying to find the most talented pianist to play at my next event. I could be upstairs, working in my office, but this unfortunately must be done. If only the other pianist was not so sensitive about critique and quit on me at the last minute. He must be an idiot if he believes that he will ever work in this state after this stunt he pulled.

Seriously? This last person and Clara are both aggravating me. Right when I was going to tell this person to leave and shut Clara up, he began to play. I cringed at the mistakes he made while he played and I could hear Clara chuckling. I sighed, once again someone else was wasting my time. I slowly looked up and could not stop the disgust I felt. This man with raggedy and dirty clothes was sitting here trying to audition for me? Is he insane? I was about to stop him, but I could not help but notice the graceful way he played. Although he was making some mistakes, the way his fingers glided on the piano and the passionate way he was playing, draws you in. He slowly finished playing and quickly took his hands off. His hands were shaking as he held them to his chest and he was breathing rapidly.

"Clara, give me his information," I whispered to my secretary after I saw a tear land and splash on one of the keys.

"Sir, I do not have his paperwork. I was trying to inform you that this person was not accounted for," she replied.

"Excuse me? So, you just let some stranger walk into this room without even attempting to find out who he was or kick him out? I do not believe that this is how you were trained to work." As I said this, I turned and glared at her.

"Sir, I'm sor..."

"Go upstairs, pack your things, and get out of my building. You are fired for you carelessness." I interrupted. Sigh. She was a good secretary.

I could see the water in her eyes as she got up. She "secretly" sent a glare to the man at the piano and he started at us with wide eyes. She stormed out of the room and slammed the door.

"E-excuse m-me. P-Please don't do that. I-it was my fault," the man said, catching my attention with his innocent, soft-spoken voice.

"What is your name? How old are you?"

"Q-quinton Beckett. I'm 25 years old, sir."

"My name is Xavier Stone, but you can refer to me as Mr. Stone. Did you know why you were asked to play the piano?" I asked, causing him to shake his head no.

I silently observed him and noticed the holes and dirt on him. Clearly, he was homeless. I found myself at an impasse because a part of me wanted to shun him, but as I stared at his shaking figure and avoiding my gaze, I could not bring myself to do it.

Sigh...

I cannot believe I am about to do this.

"I am in need of a pianist to perform in my next event. Although you made many mistakes, I enjoyed watching the emotional way you played."

As I spoke, I began to organize the paperwork that was left on the table. I slowly looked up in order to make sure he was listening and was met with sparkling brown eyes, which quickly reverted back to looking at the floor.

"It is going to take an extreme amount of work to prepare you but if you are willing to give 120%, I will hire you."

Quinton's head shot up immediately, but when he opened his mouth to respond, the door swung open and two police officers walked in.

"We finally found you punk. You're coming with us," one officer said as he sneered at Quinton, who shrunk back in fear.

"What seems to be the problem officers?" I asked.

"Well Mr. Stone, this hooligan stole something earlier today and ran away, so we will take him out of your hair before he decides to steal from you."

I looked over at Quinton and saw him holding his shaking hands to his chest, as he stared at us through watery eyes.

"That will not be necessary."

After I responded with this, the officers were clearly upset and went to argue but I stopped them with a hard glare. Their voices got caught in their throats and they stormed out.

"Listen here, I helped you this time but next time you will not be so lucky. If you decide to work for me, there are a couple of rules and regulations you must follow. You can no longer come into this building looking like...that," I said as I pointed towards his rags.

"Clean and business attire only. You must listen and obey to only what I command. I am your boss and no one else is allowed to tell you what to do, unless it was approved by myself or unless I sent them to, but these are less likely because I am very direct. I do not accept tardiness or excuses and will not allow thieves to work for me. If I become aware of any thievery from you part, I will take it upon myself to get the police involved."

He quickly interrupts me by saying, "S-sir, y-you will not have to worry because I rarely ever steal."

"Do not interrupt me again. I do not tolerate disrespect. Also, I do not tolerate liars. I have dealt with the likes of you before, to know how you people operate. Now, I do not find these rules to be difficult to understand and follow. They are self-explanatory. Do you understand or must I find an even simpler way to get you to finally comprehend?"

He shook his head no and confirmed that he understood.

"Good. Now, will you be taking the position or have you been wasting my time?" I said and asked this sternly

I could tell that he is easy to read because he wears his emotions on his sleeves. Right now, I could see the disappointment he felt, most likely pertaining to the way I spoke to him and about him. If only I cared.

After waiting what felt like a lifetime, without any response, I assumed he was not interested and headed for the door.

"Wait sir!" he yelled but shrunk back when I looked at him with a raised brow.

"I'll take the job"

"Good. Now follow me upstairs, so I can gather my things and we will talk about the basics."