Chapter 7

I changed the name of last chapter because I am going to give every fifth chapter a name. Just in case anyone was wondering :).

I had to have faith in Cliff now. We were raising slightly, but we were blinded by the dark fog of the fire. If we hit a tree, at least my mind would be cleared. At least the government wouldn’t win. And we would burn with the plane. Probably explode. Then they wouldn’t know what happened.

    But at last, it started to clear. We could catch a glimpse of the sun, its rays almost blinding us. Cliff had been trained from experience not to let this impair his piloting. We were out of the smoke in seconds, but those felt like an eternity. Every small fraction of a moment, death grew nearer, and nearer, until I was cornered, defenseless. But then came the light, literally, and I was free.

    But now, Cliff had to get us home. Wait...Do I really have a home? Could I really find a place to live, and rest, and settle down? Maybe get married? Have children?

    No. Every single part of me, either sadly accepting the truth or yelling it out, knew; no. I wanted to get my mind off things. “Cliff, what if they send their jets as we are coming back? How will they know there is not someone like me aboard?”

    Cliff’s eyebrows shot up, and he realized he hadn’t thought about that before. “Well, I can call them and say that I am escaping from the island. It could have maybe...caught fire?”

    I nodded in agreement, and he started connecting to the electric aura that lets the entire military communicate. The nickname is made to give the military more of a powerful appearance. Makes them seem even less important, though. I was easily preoccupied by my thoughts while Cliff made a phone call that sounded very funny. He was acting like he could not move his tongue, and used a series of taps and thumps to clarify what he was talking about. He sounded desperate; even the noises were urgent. When the call ended, I asked Cliff what the plan was.

    “They know how important I am, and so they are probably sending half of their military out to look for me. When I land, I will be able to contact you, and give you advice. You will are going to hide in an identity that will be enforced by all the information and official records we can get in a week. It is your job to find the Iron Inferno. As for Sadie; she will continue to earn more fame. She will hire a few bodyguards every week, but not enough for suspicions to be made. They will swear an oath. Luckily, in our really messed-up government, oaths can be made, and if they are broken, the murder of the suspect will be classified as ‘a ritual killing.’ So, she will also be allowed to take all of the items in their possession. As she gets more popular, she will recruit an entire army of oath-takers, and then unleash them into the streets of Xawzlij. The Iron Inferno, if you can find them, will be storming the rest of the large military bases, until the small amounts of troops the government will start to diminish into nothing more than the original resistance we began as. But when we kill Scorch, we’ll draw them all in like a pack of wolves to a crowd of sheep. Understand?”

I nodded in agreement. I knew this wouldn’t be easy. I probably wouldn’t finish the job unscathed. But the one thing that was most probable, probably guaranteed; maybe even already written by fate, is that something would go wrong. For sure, it is nearly essential that no plan is flawless. So, if anything goes wrong, I’ll have to say: ‘I told you so!’

Cliff and I rode in silence for a while. We were both desperately waiting to see if we would safely go around the military. I could hear a slight humming sound, emanating from behind the cockpit. I would not let myself be dropped out of a plane again. So I acted. I got up, charging with my fists out. I know for a fact that Cliff nearly wet his pants at the sudden movement, but I needed to save us both. If I went down with this guy, then so be it. Cliff could continue the rebellion.

I tackled the intruder, seeing them drop to the ground as I got up. I kicked them, again and again, until I heard a feminine shriek. “Sadie!” I ran to the back of the plane, but found nobody. I looked behind me, and then saw her. She was the soldier. Great. Another test.

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t throw you out of the plane right now.” I told her.

She only smiled.

This was a really short chapter, guys, but every chapter does not have to be twenty-five pages long. I promise you guys that the next chapter will be good, and I mean real good. But I also have a question for everyone!

Here it is: Who is your favourite character so far?

I don't know who my favourite is, though. I mean, since I know about the rest of the novel and every single character.... But as of this chapter, my favourite is probably Cliff. The reson is that I enjoy writing about him, and his entire character is so mysterious. Sadie comes in at a close second, because of her almost humourous innocence. But really, as explained in this chapter, she is a fierce warrior. My third favourite would probably be Isaac. Obviously, he is the main character, and if you don't like your main character they are either a serial killer or they are meant to be disliked. Either way, writers almost need to love their main character, and that is why Isaac is my third favourite.

Once again, I apologize for the short chapter, but guarantee that next chapter will most definetly make up for the lack of length this chapter.