A Changed Man

"Wow," Belle sits back in amazement. "I had no idea! I'm, so sorry." Beast turns to Belle with sad eyes, all at once realizing how much his life has improved since he met her.
"What are you sorry for?"
"The way you grew up, the way your father treated you..." she shakes her head slowly and looks down. "I'm sorry about your mother." Beast sighs and lays his paw on her shoulder.
"Thank you... I'm sorry about yours." Belle turns and looks into Beast's eyes, remembering when she told him about her mother, how much he seemed to care. Beast looks back at her, wishing he could change her past, give her a better life now. They both quickly retreat, still unsure of the feelings in their hearts.

The two sit in silence for a what seems like forever. Belle's eyes wander to a poem book on the desk. She takes it and opens it, skimming the pages. Beast notices and makes a request that is buried in volume by his nervousness to ask.
"We should read that. Perhaps... while we walk?" Belle looks at Beast, happiness glistens in her eyes. She closes the book and stands, facing Beast.
"I think that's a wonderful idea. Where should we walk?" Beast stands and points to the glass doors leading outside.
"You said you wanted to see the garden, want to start there?"
"Yes!" Beast smiles and starts for the doors, then stops in his tracks, manners, he thinks.
"After you," he gestures toward the doors and looks at Belle. She smiles and nods, giggling at the could-be-gentleman. They head out into the snow-covered sunny day, a stroll filled with the words of a poet, read by Belle.