coffee shop soundtrack

A/N: A finally finished request for ladyclarajojo! I had to come up with an idea, sorry it took so long! writing has been very hard for me recently... i'm working a lot of hours and i've been completely sucked into FFXIV, so I'll try my best to be more active in writing from now on, sorry T_T

It's stereotypical, Josuke thinks, that he's fallen for the barista at Morioh's only (and, most popular) coffee shop. He makes a note to remind himself to stop being such a sucker for pretty faces and stop tripping over himself when it came to random girls in his hometown when he's supposed to be away at college, having the time of his life. Instead, he finds home more appealing. He gets to see you, after all.

It's been 4 months since you started working as a barista. At least, that's how long Josuke believes, because that's when he first started drinking coffee. Maybe it was only because of the cute girl smiling behind the counter, or maybe he just needed to start his days with something energizing— he's unsure of the reason now, gazing into your eyes as you're trying to take his order.

"Er, Higashikata-san," You were on a last name basis with him, being a frequent customer. After his twelfth visit in the past two weeks, he'd hoped today he could get you to say his first name.

"Hm?" His fingers tapped against the shop's counter mindlessly. He was lost in the thought of you, the coffee shop girl, standing in front of him.

"Your order...?" You seemed a bit flustered by his persistent eye contact, eyes darting away hastily every few seconds.

"Ah, well... Just black coffee, today."

"Ditching the sweet stuff?" Your smile was saccharine, sweet enough to make his teeth ache. He smiled back while you punched his order into the computer. "That's 300 yen. What name would you like it under?"

"Josuke, please."

"A-Ah, your first name...?" You tilted your head hesitantly while Josuke counted out a few bills in his wallet.

"Yep."

"What characters should I use for that..." You seemed to drift into your own little world when brewing his coffee, humming away, feet dancing across the tile with a quiet confidence the student admired more than anything else.
"Josuke-san! Your coffee..." You said it gently, as if even his name was something delicate and remarkable, and it made his heart do backflips. Absolutely adorable.

Step one, get you to say his first name, complete.

•••

Step two. Ask you out.

He's unsure what to order when he arrives at the shop mid-morning, and realizes you aren't on the clock yet. Your hair is tied up and you're scribbling away at something, intently focused on whatever it is. He wants to interrupt you to talk but he enjoys the furrowed brows you have when you're working hard. You pick up your head and notice him anyways, and give him a quick courteous smile and nod before refocusing again. He sits down across from you anyways, also intent on his task.

"Whatcha working on?" He tries to peer over, but you shield your notebook from his eyes.

"No peeking."

"Aw," He rubs the back of his neck and decides to play along, "Why not? Is it a surprise?"

You shake your head. "As an art student, I'd say it would jinx me. As a normal person, I'd say it's rude to sneak a look at what other people are doing without permission."

"...May I have permission?"

"Hehe. No," You shake your head, and Josuke sits back in his chair in defeat. "Maybe when it's finished. How about that?"