Chapter Four

(Name) wasn't able to stay upset with Arthur for long. The awkward and shy young boy she had rescued all those years ago had seemingly become a bit of charmer. He knew how to soften her up and she was aware of his tactics but she couldn't find a reason to be upset about it.

     In the end though, it wasn't the changes that ultimately surprised (Name), it was all the coincidences that brought them together again. Many of the elder merfolk spoke about fate and destiny but (Name) never put much stock in the idea. In her mind life simply happened the way it happened. There was no larger plan for her life or anyone else's. Yet today had her rethinking that very notion.

     Arthur had said fate had brought them together once again. Could he be right? After all these years had they been meant to find each other again? But why? Why would fate, or whatever it was that brought them to each other in the first place, want them to be together?

     (Name) was left to mull this over while Arthur went about his business. He'd left her alone in his cabin while he saw to the crew and the ship, though he said if his crew was behaving themselves he wouldn't be gone for too long. Arthur had also mentioned he'd try and find some merfolk-suited food for her in the kitchens.

     Being cooped up alone was not something (Name) was fond of though, it reminded her of being under house arrest for all those years when she was a child. She'd started thinking about hauling herself out of the tub so she could dry out and cast her spell to split her tail into legs but had realized that she'd probably cause more problems that way. (Name) would have nothing to wear once she was out of the water and she was aware of how humans viewed nudity. Merfolk didn't particularly shy away from it, it was their natural state, so it was often embraced. They never completely understood why humans felt the need to cover everything up with heavy layers of clothing, when their natural state was nakedness as well. (Name) agreed with the idea that clothing was a silly notion but knew that walking around the ship uncovered, looking for Arthur would not end well for anyone.

     (Name) jumped slightly when the cabin door suddenly creaked open.

     "Arthur?"

     There was no response from the shadowy figure in the doorway and worry quickly crashed over the confined mermaid.

     The figure stepped into the room, closing and bolting the door behind him. Now within the range of the many lamps Arthur had left gong in the cabin, (Name) could clearly see the small framed man who didn't seem to be up to anything good.

     "Who are you? What are you doing in here?" She tried to steel her voice the way Arthur had when he was speaking to the crew but she could barely pass as sounding irritated, not even close to the confidant leader Arthur seemed to be.

     "The Cap'n thinks he can keep ya' all ta 'imself, and keep all the booty to 'imself too." The pirate grumbled as he drew a blade out of his boot. "But I'm not gonna let 'im. I'm gonna get me rich off your scales."

     Well unfortunately for this sorry pirate, merfolk scales turn into sea foam, but it was obvious to (Name) that he was not aware of that.

     As her assailant drew closer with the knife (Name) let out the same piercing screech that had warded away the crew members on deck. (Name) wasn't expecting the pirate to rush at her instead of away. He clamped one hand over her mouth and with the other, brought the knife to her neck.

     "Not another peep outta ya' or I'll slice your throat! Got it?"

     The knife was a cold reminder against her neck. It was obvious he would have no qualms about ending her life then and there. Too bad for him that (Name) wasn't about to let herself die today.