It's Just the Start

William:

Work, the typical paperwork and newspapers to comb through. It is a never-ending job of running a community, a gated kingdom of vampire's, isolated from the human villages. I must keep them in line from managing the creation of vampire's and illegal human slaughtering's. Anything that threatens the safety of the gated community is my responsibility. How many years have I been doing this? I approach my office door where I sense she's already beaten me to my own work. My lips twitch upwards. Having her help has been an amazing relief. I don't have to burden sister with so much of my work now. I ease the door open without disturbing Rosella. Her brown hair is slightly matted, eyebrows furrowed together, and her heart was beating a bit faster than usual. Something is troubling her judging by the look on her face, it's a cute. 'My little angel,' I note. She notices I'm in the room. 'Ooh shoot, did I that aloud?' I wonder, a grin spreading across my face. It is rare that I smile, or so my sister claims, but I can't help it.

"Morning William," she greets me, and goes right back to looking back to the paperwork. With vampiric speed, I reappear behind.

"Morning," I murmur back. My eyes draw up to the window, the curtains are pulled aside letting the morning's fresh blinding sunlight in. It's nice, it's different, but its near blinding. Never mind, I wonder what she's so focused on. "Something on your mind?" I inquire but she's still busy looking over paper after paper.

"What's on your mind," I whisper in her ear. A shudder runs down her back, and her pale skin turns a light shade of pink. Her eyes lift from the paperwork. Finally, I have her attention. I reach out, and put a hand on her face. Her skin is still warm, just barely, eyes the same as they've always been. She grimaces, eyes snapping shut, she puts her small fingers to her forehead. I pull my hand back immediately. 'She's not- she's not quite human. Don't be so afraid of hurting her,' I remind myself. I put my hand back on her cheek.

"Is the Change still giving you trouble?" I ask her. She nods and gives me a faint smile. Just a month ago before we married there was some trouble resulting in Rosella becoming mortally injured. Turning her was my only option. Losing her was in no way an option. So, I bit her, but she didn't quite change like she was supposed to. She instead, woke up early, only half a vampire somehow. We didn't even know such was possible. I only took half of her humanity. I admit, it's somewhat relieving that I didn't take all her humanity. I'm just-

"William?" Rosella wonders, her voice snapping me out of my thoughts. Her soft brown eyes stare up at me.

"I'm alright," I assure her, taking her hand in my own, my thumb gently rubs the back of her hand assuring. She takes a deep breath and sighs. 'She's still breathing. Her heart, even slowly, is still beating. She's still alive, well, at least part of her is,' I note to myself. We still don't understand why she's stuck like this, or how long this condition will last. My biggest concern is whether she's immortal or not. Never mind, that's a worry for another day.

"So, what else is troubling you?" I inquire. Her eyes drop to the paper.

"CLAN UPRISING IN TOWN:
MULTIPLE DEATHS IN RESULT OF FIGHTING
,"

I feel my eyebrow start to twitch. I scan the article over. Since May Caldwell, leader of the most recent rebellion, has passed away the uprisings have begun to dwindle. I had feared May's boldness would have sparked some to take her place, but that's not the case. May was a mad woman, people could see that. No one is going to try to take her place. The rebellion will die out soon.

"No need to fret love. These uprisings never get very far, clan uprisings get washed away quickly," I assure her. I can still hear her faint heartbeat slowing slightly, and I am somewhat glad for this.