Hands Of Time

Arohi sat at her desk looking outside through the long rectangular window at the pelting rain and the cloudy skies while twirling the pen unaware of her bodily movements while deep in thought.   Today was a particularly rough day but these few years had taken their toll on her mentally and emotionally.   She was seeking answers and needed guidance because she was losing hope.

One of the counselors had suggested that writing could be therapeutic in expressing her deepest contemplations.   She had decided to take on the task and to do so privately.   However, as she tried to put pen to paper, she was bombarded by all that seemed pessimistic and the overwhelming sentiments had left her paralyzed.

As tears clouded her hazel orbs and her vision blurred, she took a long cleansing and meditative breath to calm her thoughts and decided to write whatever came into her mind.

To My Dearest Friend and Foe Time,

Ever since I was a young adult, I had heard these two phrases about you:

"Time is free, but it's priceless.   You can't own it, but you can use it.   You can't keep it, but you can spend it.   Once you've lost it you can never get it back."   (Harvey MacKay)

AND

"Life and time are the two best teachers.   Life teaches us to make good use of time, while time teaches us the value of life."   (Unknown)

So my dear Time, I write you this letter because I have always been cognizant of your worth.   I was taught that time was limited in life and therefore do not waste it.   I have strived to do things to the best of my ability and gave them my 100% focus.   With perseverance and patience, I have even been gifted with wonderful results, and it was all because of the measures of your constantly ticking clock.

When I was 27 and my younger brother was 21, you took him away from me and my family.    However, I never complained because I treasured the limited period I had with him.   I knew that Cystic Fibrosis and the associated seizures would affect his body and brain but not his fighting spirit.   He was the reason why I became a doctor.   I was grateful to you that I was given the chance to pursue my education for so many years and be able to prevent the effects of many such deadly diseases on children by becoming a pediatrician.

With each passing day, you were even instrumental in lessening my pain and opening my heart to love.   That is the reason why I was able to recognize the wonderful qualities that emanated from Arjun when I was introduced to him.   It has been said that sometimes you can meet the right person but if you are not in the right frame of mind or if the timing is not right, then you may let that opportunity slip through your fingers.

Well, in this case, I need not have worried since with your wonderful magic, occasions were created in a timely fashion that made me appreciate and care for Arjun and vice versa.   I have never looked back nor have I regretted a minute since, as Arjun has been my rock, support, advocate, friend and lover.   I would have been so lost without him. I am so thankful to have had such a partner that made my life beautiful and gave me such happiness.