Summer Camp

I stumbled into the small wooden office, following my mom. I was in the absolute worst mood. She decided it would be a good idea to send me away to a summer camp with NO electronics.

"DANI!!" My mother yelled, pushing me with her firm elbow. I ripped the headphones out if my ears and looked up at her.

"Yes?" I asked, carefully. "Hand me your phone. I'm leaving."

I sighed, locking my phone and pushing it into my mother's hand.

She pinched my cheek and smiled. "Have fun!" "doubt it.." I mumbled, kicking the floor. "See you in August!" she said before closing the office door, leaving me. Alone.

"Dani? Your room mate is on his way to show you to your cabin." The woman behind the counter said.

"H-His? A boy??" I stuttered, completely confused. "Is there a problem?" "N-no." I said, putting my hands in my pockets, looking at the floor.

A boy? Me. Alone. In a tiny cabin. With a boy?! What kind of camp is this?

"Heeeello?" the boy dragged out as he stepped in. His brown, floppy hair and his bright blue eyes shone in the light.

I peered over at the desk to see the woman again. She was gone.

"I guess I'm your room mate." I said stepping over to him.

"I-I'm Hayden." He stuttered, placing his hand out. I starred at it for a couple seconds and took it in mine. "Dani." I replied, smiling. His hand was soft and much bigger than mine.

"I'll show you to our cabin, I guess." he said, opening the door. He seemed shy. He didn't even try to make eye contact. walked with his head down. We went down the hill on the red dirt road. The camp seemed over crowed back here. Girls all over boys, water being thrown everywhere, screams, laughter. All together loud.

Hayden suddenly tripped and fell into me, knocking me over. He stumbled a couple steps before noticing.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" He exclaimed, scrambling over to me, grabbing me by my hips and placing me back on my feet.

I just laughed and wiped the dirt of myself. "Thanks.." I said, looking down. He stuttered as if he had no idea what to say. "Jeez," he said after a short while, scratching the back of his head. "I'm such an idiot." He said under his breath as we kept walking. "Hey! It was an accident. It's fine" I said, rubbing his bicep. He smiled as we walked to the very last cabin in the back of the woods.

He unlocked the door, reviling a small room with one queen bed, one bathroom, and several strings of fairy lights around the perimeter.

"One be-bed?" I asked, walking in. Hayden closed the door behind us and walked up next to me. "Yeah. B-but I'll sleep on the floor if you'd like." He spilled quickly. I sighed and put my bags on my side of the bed. "It's alright."

The bed had a beautiful wooden frame with a quilt with floral patterns sown in it covering most of the bed, with a white crocheted blanket along the bottom. Both sides had a nightstand with a lamp and an empty pitcher.

"Hm. Vintage." I said, opening the drawers. Empty. He chuckled and sat down at a table for two.

Next to the bathroom door was a dresser with 4 drawers and a couple of Hayden's items on it. "I-I took the bottom two drawers so you wouldn't have to hurt your back." He said, drawing circles on the table with his finger. I smiled, opening the drawers and my suitcase. "That's really sweet." I said, putting my shorts in the drawer. He chuckled again. "Thanks I think."

I kept unpacking my jeans, shorts, and pjs in the top drawer and moved to the second drawer. I started putting my shirts, bathing suits, bras, and underwear into the second drawer until I saw Hayden watching out of my eye. I looked over my shoulder at him and we quickly turned. I laughed and finished unpacking.

I sat at the table with him and just looked at him. "Why are you starring at me?" He laughed. "No idea." I laughed back.

We sat in silence until he got up and disappeared into the bathroom.