Prologue: When the Flag Drops

*tick*

11:50
The chill in the air as the witching hour creeps closer, and the crinkleing of spectators clutching their betting papers.

The voice of a boy shouts out
"You can do it 99! Bring home the big money!!"

99? That's a new one

Lights flashed, music played, people danced and jeered.

*tock*

11:53
The vapor of each bated breath, and the people who unanimously start to chant:

"liar, liar pants on fier! Can't out run the Phoenix tires"

*tick*

11:55
The soft rumbling of engines and loud revs of eager drivers, earning a few whoops and cheers from guys of all ages.

Salt and pepper elders to acne faced teens, all were welcome to the track if you had money and knew how to find it

*tock*

11:56
I hear my heart beating. I smell a faint musk of smoke and oil beneath the sent of my pomegranate car freshener. I feel the hairs on my arms bristle. I see this evenings trophy girl walk out to the starting line, she's stunning.

Her short curly hair is loose but most of it is covered by a faded red bandanna. Some stray wisps of short hair over her forehead and 2 pale blond ringlets frame her impossibly symmetrical heart shaped rose tinted sunglasses wearing face.

Waving to the crowd she introduces herself as Dylan and starts shouting out the track rules.

*tick*

11:59
Eyes on her wrist watch she slowly raises her left arm, a cheques marked flag clenched in her hand. It sways a little as a light breeze catches the fabric, begging it to dance along with the wind.

She smiles with a beautiful gap toothed grin, framed in a deep crimson lipstic.

A hush falls over the crowd... silence

*tock*

12:00
She drops the flag, and my heart stops as once again I play with death.

For in these precious seconds of suspended limbo I am dead, waiting to be born a new with the rush of adrenalin as my flame.

*tick*

Everything slows down.

*tock*

My breathing steadies.

*tick*

My vision sharpens.

*tock*

The flag hits the ground, a whistle blows.

My foot pushes down on the accelerator.

Engins and onlookers roar as cars lurch forward.

... and I'm alive again