Chapter 1

"Mom!" I shook her while yell-whispering at her to wake up.

"Jaden give me five minutes." She groaned.

She was tired and I can understood why. We were up all last night, trying to find high ground to be able to sleep on, away from the horrors of the night. We've been on the move since we lost our house about two weeks ago, and haven't had a steady place to stay since.

"Mom, you have to get up so we can get going. We need to find food, we ran out of our supply last night." I pretty much whined.

She didn't look to happy about it, but she knew I was right, so she complied.

"Jaden, wake your sister." She yawned.

I went over to my sister and gently shook her, while whispering for her to please get up. It didn't take much to get my sister up, because she was used to it. Before we lost our house, my sister and I did all of the work, while my mother let depression take her over and stayed in bed. She had pretty much lost all will to live after my father died.

"Jaden I don't feel well." Nichole whispered.

This was nothing new, she hadn't been feeling well for the past month. She seemed to be getting weaker by the minute, but there was nothing my mother or I could do. It would be something to add to the list of worries after we find a place to stay. As I prompted my mother to get out of her sleeping bag, Nichole started gathering our things up and put everything into backpacks to get ready for the days work of finding shelter.

After everything was packed, we were off. None of us knew where, but I hoped we would figure it out soon. We came across a creek and stopped to fill our water bottles.

"Jaden will you help me get my water bottle out of my bag?" My incompetent mother asked.

I wasn't too happy about it but I listened and did as I was told. All of the sudden I could hear Nichole screaming. I turned around to see that she had fallen into the water and was frantically trying to get to land. I had to save her and fast before she started attracting unwanted attention.

"JADEN!!!!" She screamed, "HELP!!"

I was just about to jump into the water when I saw the most beautiful thing I had ever seen pulling my sister to safety.