Chapter 1

"Today is day seven of the crime wave. Seven days of criminals robbing, vandalizing, and killing. The police aren't containing this outbreak of violence. Instead, they are stopping kids from shoplifting and making sure traffic is clear. If we can't rely on the protectors of the city, who do you suppose we trust?" The reporter said on the television.

Behind the reporter, was the fire department trying to contain a massive building fire. The fire was set purposely, which made it another crime we couldn't stop.

"Officer Todd McLain! The Chief wants to speak to you!" One of the other officers called.

I rushed to Chief Bank's office.

"Officer McLain," Chief said nodding towards me.

"Sir," I said copying the gesture.

"Do you know what day it is of the crime wave?"

"The seventh day."

"Indeed. We need to get all units out there helping the citizens of this city. The people need to understand we are trying to protect them no matter the cost."

"Yes, Chief."

"Right now though, I need you to get me all the files on the crimes that were carried out today."

I was ready to stop the massive amounts of crimes. Chief Banks has been telling us not to get to involved in the crimes for days, but now we get to help all those people.

"Jessica," I called to the MCPD police assistant, "can I have all the files of today's crimes for Chief Banks?"

"Of course." She smiled. Jessica rushed off and returned with a stack of files. "I'll take these files to Chief Banks."

"You know you don't have to do that?" I asked, trying to help her with the files.

"It's okay." She smiled again.

"Yeah, but you can't do everything," I said, now smiling.

"True," Jessica laughed. "but I can try."

She left me with a goofy smile.

All the police officers were getting ready to leave the station to patrol. On my way out, I saw Jessica and gave her a quick "be safe" on her walk home.

I offered her a ride, but she told me she didn't live far and that she would be fine.

I was driving past an alley when I heard a woman screaming.

"Please! Leave me alone! I have forty dollars in my purse, take it!" The lady yelled, throwing her purse on the ground.

"I don't want your money..." The robber whispered, brushing the woman's cheek.

I ran up to him and pushed him off of her.

"MCPD. Leave her alone." I said, flashing my badge.

"A cop?" A guy said coming up to us with a gun.

I stood in front of the woman with the gun to my chest and my hands up.

"You don't have to do this. Just let the girl go, and you can do whatever you want with me." I said looking down at the gun placed directly above my heart.

I was still looking down at the gun when I heard the lady gasp from behind me.

I drew my attention to a girl dressed in a red and black costume behind the two men.

They turned around to face her. One of the men pointed a gun at her and she kicked it out of his hand.

She took two men on without a weapon.

The girl turned to leave, but before she did, she threw a card into the wall closest to my face. I turned and noticed the card was the Queen of Hearts.

"Who are you?" I asked, but she was already gone.