Chapter 2

"You were saved by a superhero! The public will have a field day with this one. They will think the MCPD isn't capable of helping anyone. If we can't help one girl, how are we going to help a whole city?" Chief Banks yelled as we watched an amateur video of the events last night.

The news has been calling the vigilante the Queen of Hearts.

Chief has been yelling at me since I got to work and he is trying to figure out whether the Queen of Hearts is a menace or a superhero.

In my opinion, she is a superhero. She saved my life. If she was a menace, wouldn't she have pulled the trigger on me herself?

"Chief, I think it would be a good idea to have her on our side," I said, trying to reason with Chief Banks.

"Oh, you do? We can't have someone we know nothing about on our side."

"She is a good person. She could help us stop the crimes in this--"

Officer Daniels entered the room interrupting me.

"Do we have any leads on who she is, Daniels?

"No, Chief."

"McLain?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Go write me a report on what happened last night."

"Sir, I already told you everything."

"Didn't you hear me? I want it in writing."

"Hey, Jessica."

"Good morning, Officer McLain." She said greeting me.

"Just call me, Todd."

"Okay. Good morning, Todd."

"How was your night?"

"Boring, I guess."

"Do you want to go out tonight?"

"Like a date?"

"Yes, like a date."

She looked at me with a nervous a smile. I was ready to tell her she didn't have to if she didn't want to, but she grabbed my hand and started writing something on it.

"I would love to. Pick me up at six." Jessica said getting ready to walk off.

"Wait! I don't know where you live."

"You're a cop. You'll figure it out." She said winking at me.

Jessica left moments later because her shift had ended and I was impatiently waiting for mine to end.

My shift finally ended. It was five thirty though, so I didn't have time to go home and change.

Before I left work, I looked up Jessica's address. Last night she told me she lived close to the station, but I didn't think she meant the apartment right next door.

I knocked on the apartment door and waited for Jessica. Jessica opened the door. She was wearing her usual work uniform. A button-up shirt with a black skirt. She looked beautiful.

"You look incredible," I told her.

"Really? I'm just wearing my work uniform because I didn't know where we were going." She laughed. "Where are we going?"

"Jutamas."

"The Thai restaurant!" She cheered.

After dinner, I took Jessica up to the roof.

"It's beautiful up here." Jessica said.

"Yeah, you can see the whole city."

"The city is in a pretty bad place right now." She said looking at me sadly.

"Yeah, but I hope the MCPD can make it better. Maybe alongside the Queen of Hearts."

"You want to work with her?"

"Yes, but I seem to be the only one."

I wanted to change the subject. I didn't want to talk about work on our first date.

"You look beautiful under this moonlight."

"Thank you."

"You always look beautiful."

I saw her cheeks redden. She placed her hands on her cheeks hiding the redness. I pulled her hands away and stared at her. We were close. I could have easily kissed her, but I was too mesmerized by her eyes to move.

My radio that was clipped to my pants went off.

"McLain! I need you down at the station!" Chief yelled from the radio.

Jessica let go of my hands. "I guess we better go."

"We're going after the Queen of Hearts." Chief said when we arrived at the station."

"What?"

"She has been stopping crimes for a while now, but last night was the first time she was caught on camera. She is a danger to everyone in this city. Why would she hide for so long if she was trying to help people. We are going to keep her in custody once we get her." Chief looked at me and sighed, "Also, you're going to stay here."

"Why!?"

"You don't want her in custody. You're going to let that get in your way."

Chief and a few officers left to go bait the Queen of Hearts.

I was staring at the crime board when Jessica tapped on my shoulder. "What did the Chief want?"

"He's going after the Queen of Hearts."

"I have to go!"

"Wait! Where are you going?"

"Call me later."

I looked down at the numbers she wrote on my hand earlier and let her leave.

"I have to warn her."