Chapter Two

Nicholas's Point of View

There has always been a part of me that knew that something was missing. I could feel it with every touch, with every word, and with every lustful thought. A part of me felt broken deep inside my soul, but I ignored it. Rather than let the feeling overwhelm me, I reveled in it. I used it to satisfy myself in shallow ways. If I was broken, then I wouldn't care if I break others around me. After all, the world around me was the one to blame. I've heard that change is brutal but that I could gain something so much better if I allowed it to happen. I didn't believe it. Ironically, change forced itself into my life. It took one gesture, one person...

One moment...

"What the hell is going on here?"

I reluctantly pull my lips away from the beautiful woman in my arms. Sparks rage throughout my body making me feel something I'm incapable of identifying. It feels as though electricity surges through every nerve sending shockwaves into my limbs and causing palpitations in my usually dead heart. My fingers twitch with the need to hold onto her waist again, to pull her against me. It's an alien feeling. Instead of dwelling on why this woman makes me feel something different, I lick my lips. I want to taste her again. I want the explosion of sweetness that the kiss provided.

However, good things come to an end. My brain eventually registers the presence of another person's masculine voice now in the room. My head whips to the side, and I see a man only slightly shorter than myself at the now open door. I feel my heart beat wildly, the tingle of my lips, that strange urge to claim her. I ignore it all.

It's someone I've only ever seen once at a party, so my memory is vague. Just as stupid now as it was then, his hair lays back away from his face. It's combed back and held tightly with gel leaving it a little too perfect and shiny despite what the rest of his body displays. His chest rises and falls rapidly. Sweat runs down his red, splotchy face. His breathing appears labored as though he doesn't exercise often, which is completely possible because he looks fairly small for his height. All in all, he looks as if he ran across the entire campus. The only thing that enters my mind is: he must use a lot of gel if his hair looks the way it does. That is, until I see his eyes.

The pupils dilate to an incredibly large size, overtaking the already murky brown. They thunder with craziness, anger, and obsessive possession. The blackened gaze flickers between me and the girl trapped between me and the fridge. They linger longer than necessary on her with a hatred that seems to suffocate the room around him. I unconsciously position my body in front of her as if my brain senses the danger in the situation. This causes him to look back at me with a fierce look that sends fear slithering through my bones and into my heart. Sadly, being an ass is my defense mechanism.

"You're interrupting something here."

"It's not what it looks like," she says at the same time with desperation.

We momentarily glance at each other with shock. After a cute, little glare to me that makes me think of puppies and kittens, she pushes against my body. However, being what seems like a foot taller than her, I'm too big for her to move. She huffs in frustration. I chuckle under my breath. My body moves closer. I put my nose against the side of her neck and inhale deeply while glancing at the new guy. I smell and amazing mixture of strawberries and coconuts. A smirk creeps its way to my face when I see his face morph even further into anger.

Yeah, let's just put this poor girl in even more danger. You're an ass.

I never said I wasn't.

"Like I said before," I begin snarkily, "you're interrupting something here. Best be on your way now."

"No!" She pushes against me again with renewed strength. For a little person, she's fairly strong. If I were any other person, she probably would have been able to push me away from her by now. Sadly for her, I'm not whoever this person is to her. I actually exercise. Plus, I tower over her. She's not moving me any time soon.