Chapter 1

That was a big mistake. I shouldn't have left it on the counter. My project that was worth half of my grade lay on the counter, entirely demolished. My rage came out 5 times stronger than expected. "Who did this???" I stormed at my brothers. "Who did this???" I repeated. My two little brothers, Mike and Leo, looked at each other with worried faces. "It was you two!!!" I exclaimed. Great. I'm gonna fail 9th grade. The one grade that hates me the most. I glared at them angrily and stormed into my room. It was in the attic, isolating me from everyone else. I started to cry on my bed, staring at the monstrous glob that was supposed to be a replica of the human body. No. Stop crying. You're no longer a child. You're a teenager who needs to get her emotions straight. I sat up and looked at my reflection through the tears swelling up. Why can't I just be normal? Why am I such a freak? Nobody even cares anymore. "Dinner!!!" I heard the faint call of my mother as I walked towards my window. I pulled the curtains shut and headed downstairs, only to see my mom struggling with groceries. "Here," I said as I helped my mom bring in a box of pizza while grabbing a few bags and setting it all on the counter. "Thanks Elisa," she said graciously as she grabbed a slice of pizza and poured some wine into her glass as she sat down. "Yeah, anytime." I replied through clenched teeth. I took a slice and sat down at the table along with my other family members. With my parents divorced, dinner just isn't the same. Through the awkward silences interrupted by the chewing of pizza, I sat there thinking about how I can fix my project. "You know, I was thinking about taking you boys to visit your father on Florida this weekend," my mom said. "Mom, why can't I go?" I asked. "Honey, I need someone to watch over the house, since I already have to go there for work." And I have to work on my project, anyways.

~2 Hours Later~

"All packed?" I asked my mom as she came up to my room, interrupting my reading. She gave me a kind smile and hugged me. "Yup. Be good, always keep the alarm on, and keep the door locked." She left the room and 5 minutes later, I heard the car drive away. It was 8:56, so I decided to go to sleep. I got ready for bed, and thought for a little bit. I just wish my life could be better, like I wish I could be pretty and popular, have good grades, etc. After a while, I just dozed off. I woke up at about 2:30, for no reason, and heard an old voice sounding like the wind. "Be careful, what you wish for."