the beginning

In the beginning there were trees. Millions of them, covering reality in a blanket of greens and browns, blacks and blues. The trees were good and powerful, and they were all powerful, simply because they existed. Rumors said that the trees were ancient species who fled their realm, and found a new home in this one. Yet wherever the trees came from, they were old and wise. There was nothing but the trees, in the entirety of the earth.
        Then one day, with an Earth shattering scream, the two largest trees split clean in half. Out of the wreckage stepped two woman-like creatures.  They stood near each other, their legs and arms long and brown, leaves and twigs crinkling in their hair. The girls both had pointed ears, and wide eyes.  The two tree spirits  looked identical to each other, except for one key difference. The first had beautiful flowers and light twinkling in her eyes, and everything about her body emphasized kindness and light. The other tree spirit was the opposite of her sweet sister, her skin a pale, faded white. Her eyes were dark emotionless orbs, and darkness curled from her finger tips. They were light and dark, goddeses of this tree-covered realm. The sisters looked at each other before turning and walking away, each to opposite ends of the Earth. They then began waking up the slumbering trees around them, creating two strong, independent, and completely different queendoms. The light queen ruled with peace and harmony in an eternal daylight, and her people worshipped her. The dark queen ruled with fear and cruelty, and her people didn't dare step out of line. An eternal darkness washed over her lands, killing crops and animals alike. A thick wood filled with more of the ancient trees separates the two kingdoms, keeping them apart from each other. It has been this way for centuries, and will continue this way until the end of time.