I Refuse.

" About 50 years ago, a man by the name of Ellis Zark created a highly dangerous and infectious disease called the Zark flu. The Zark flu starts off with your basic flu or cold symptoms such as head aches, sneezing, drastic changes in body temperature, and vomiting that slowly progress into much worse and painful things. Such as painful nose and eye bleeds, pain and stinging in arms and legs, and the most recognizable symptom, vomiting up blood and tissues from organs. No one has been known to survive the virus caused Zark flu. And due to how infectious it is, everyone must take extreme precautions....."

"How's that sound mom?"

"It's alright Myla. B+ material if you leave off there. You might want to come up for more words describing the precautions."

" OK, so add more...But wouldn't get boring? Mrs. Wolff said we'd get points off if it is.."

" Honestly Myla, I don't know....I don't teach anymore remember? I've lost my touch after Clearbottom Elementary closed."

My eyes immediately met hers. Tears swelling inside both. " I know......well uhh....I need to get to bed now..Goodnight mom."

Without waiting for any response, I hurried off into my bedroom and slammed the door. I could feel a lump emerging in my throat. I can't stand it when she mentions Clearbottom Elementary. All of those little kids infected with Red Death (my name for the Zark flu). I hated that thought. Even thinking about all of those poor children, the lives lost, it makes me feel as if my mind is backing itself into a wall. It reminds me that even though the infected are isolated by a concrete barrier, we can still catch it.... I began to sob..My mind went to Laika, my best friend. Last year, when I was 16 and he was 17, he caught the Red Death and died... I never thought a happy thought after that.

God I wish he was still here. He was the only person to truly understand. We were supposed to lose our minds together, to have a big finale. That never happened.

Laika was the only one, excluding my mom, that actually cared for me and supported me. Even though I looked normal, I was excluded and bullied my whole life because....because..I'd rather not say...But Laika was the only person who would play with me, talk to me and be nice to me.. I could trust him with all of my secrets..Except one..

I brushed away any thoughts dealing with him and my tears as well and hurried off to bed. I changed from my brown and pink striped sweater and jeans into an old black tee of band from 90 or so years ago, Evanescence, and sweat pants...Submerged under 3 blankets, I began feeling cold...

The next morning I woke up colder than usual. " You should be cold", I thought," It's snowing outside and this house is as good as a box!". With that I put on my purple sweater and some jeans. Then topped it off with my grey hoodie and black boots. I grabbed my book bag and headed to the kitchen or the living room...They are generally the same place so it doesn't matter what it's called. My mom was already sitting at the table with a slice of bread with butter on it. Gavden was sitting across from her glaring at our small TV.

"Mornin'", He called to me without breaking his glare with the news man on the TV. I ignored what he said and went for the bowl of stale cereal on the table. There was no talk throughout the entire time I sat there until Gavden spoke out.

" Oh SHIT!" He bellowed out.

"What is it?" Asked my mother in alarm.

" THERE'S AN OUTBREAK OF FUCKIN' ZARK FLU!!!!!!!!!!!"

My mom and I went pale while Gavden stayed red . My heart was beating a mile a minute and i was sure that they could hear it beat through my chest. I wanted to cry but i can't. I need to stop crying and do something...If there's anything to do..