Chapter One: The Heather

"This royally sucks," I complained for the fifth time that night while taking a swig of me mountain dew.

I gave a flip of my fake blonde hair since it kept getting in my face. What would you expect from a wig you got off Craigslist? At least it was cheap along with the rest of the costume. I'm dressed up as Heather Chancellor and my best friend, Victoria, is dressed up as Heather McNamara. And where was out Heather Duke? Who knows. She ditched her for some guy, as per usual.

"Stop saying that. You're gonna make me depressed," Victoria said as she crossed her arms. "Besides... Her costume sucked anyway."

"Like she's probably doing now," I whispered under my breath.

Victoria lightly punched my arm and I playfully glared at her. I turned my attention to the door as it opened. A familiar guy came in with a shirt that said "creep" on it. I could feel my cheeks heat up at just the sight of him.

"And the love fest begins. Michael makes an entrance," Victoria said as she turned her attention towards Michael alongside with me.

I rolled my eyes at her comment. I low key regret telling her about my little crush on Michael Mell. It was nothing, right? That's what I had thought 4 years ago when I first moved here and caught a glimpse of him. Four years later and the only change is that I like him even more.

"Shut up. You act like you haven't been making heart eyes at Jeremy Heere for god knows how long," I said with a smile towards her.

"Too bad he has his eyes set on Christine. Have you noticed that he's been acting really weird lately? He wore an Eminem shirt the other day. Who even listens to Eminem? May he rest in peace," Victoria rambled on.

I was only half listening to her however. My eyes were on what was happening with Jeremy and Michael. Were they fighting? They usually never fought. They were always glued to the hip!

"Yeah. Jeremy is definitely acting different," I said.

After a little bit of them talking Jeremy seemed to say something that surprised Michael. My eyes followed Michael as he made his way to the bathroom.

"There he goes. I hope he's okay," Victoria said with a little bit of worry laced in her voice as Michael retreated to the bathroom.

"I'm going to go check on him," I said as I walked towards the bathroom.

Victoria waved at me and said something about going to go find Jeremy to see what's up. I hesitantly knocked on the door. I didn't know if I should give him space or talk to him but I at least wanted to check on him.

"I'll be out soon," a voice from the other side said. I noticed his voice sounded a little shaky, despite him trying to make it sound better.

"Can I come in there with you? I-I mean..." I stammered after the first sentence came out my mouth. "I mean, um, please let me in?"

No reply was heard. I let out a sigh. I was going to get in there one way or another. I took the bobby pin out of my blonde wig and used it to pick lock the door. It had been a long time since I had to do this but luckily I was successful.

I entered the bathroom to see Michael sitting in the bathtub with tears rolling down his cheeks. I instantly felt a pang of anger towards Jeremy. How dare he make Michael feel so bad! I closed the door and locked it. Michael looked towards me with a surprised look in his eyes.

"W-What are you doing in here? The bathroom is occupied right now," he exclaimed as he jumped up. He then ended up falling and hitting his head on the side of the bath tub with an ow.

"Oh my god," I said as I ran over to him to see if be was okay.

I knelt down next to the tun and geabbed Michael's face to check for any injuries. There didn't seem to be any blood visible but there would probably be a bruise there later.

"There will probably be a bruise there later but other than that... You seem okay," I said as I sat down on the floor next to the tub.

"Thanks uh... Heather," he said.

"Ha ha no problem. So... Why are you in the bathroom all by yourself," I asked, getting straight to the point.

He looked down and a frowned appeared on his face. I could tell he was doing his best not to cry. I just felt so bad for him.

"I'm just... A loser. A fucking loser," Michael said.

I was shocked beyond words. Michael thought he was a loser? I thought he was the coolest guy in school! Who wouldn't want to be friends with Michael?

"You've got to be kidding me! You're Michael freaking Mell! The coolest dann kid in school," I exclaimed. "Who told you you're a loser?"

He stayed silent for a moment. "Someone who I thought was my friend."

Jeremy. He was talking about Jeremy for sure. What the hell went down between them?

"Well, If he wasn't good enough to comprehend your coolness then... I'm always here. I mean I'm a Heather. How much cooler can I get," I joked.

A small hint crept up on Michael's face. He seemed like he was about to say something before a drunk girl started belching out Whitney Houston.

"Can she be anymore off tune," I blurted out. I didn't mean to say that out loud! Now he probably thought I was a bitch who made fun of drunk girls.

A full blown grin blessed his face. He started to crack more jokes about the drunk girl and I even joined in. Eventually you both stood up and started walking towards the door. He stopped and looked at you when he touched the door knob.

"You know, I never thought I would be comforted by a Heather," Michael said.