Chapter 2

Eugene's POV
  "You could have just called me you know" I said as I watched Douglas Kieth face the city from the huge window at his office. It's been two months since I heard from Douglas. I've been owing him some money for a service he rendered to me about a year ago and today he decided to send thugs to get me from my office, THUGS! But I can't blame him, can I? After all I've been owing him for the past one year and he had been a good friend not to have asked for the money sooner in a more violent manner but now my time was up. Douglas runs some sort of illegal secret service organisation and several casinos, last year I got help from the secret organisation on credit promising to pay back and since then my company mysteriously went bankrupt and ever since the company has been struggling.
  "It's no longer friendship Eugene, I need money and I need it now! I just can't stand having an incomplete ledger, so what's it gonna be?"

I could tell he was angry by the wrinkles that spread across his face but he tried to control his anger.
  This is the end. What do I do now?

"Okay" I managed to voice out, "What do you want? I sincerely have no money. My Company is still struggling, please name anything you want and I'll give it to you in place of the money."

"Anything?"he asked with a mysterious grin on his face.

"Anything"I replied desperately.

"I want a marriage of convenience between my son and your daughter"

"No, no please Meli-"

"I have always admired your daughter, she has so much grace and poise. I guess ill contact my law-"

"I haven't even agreed Douglas!"

"Well it's that or you're dead, what's it gonna be?"

I was defeated "Well could you at least give me sometime to think about all this?"

"The ball's in your court Eugene, the time's almost up. You can now leave. Oh! and you have a week till I take laws into my own hands. Goodbye Eugene see you before Thursday!" he said before I left his office.

    I have two things to deal with, my sons lack of responsibility and now this. Could things get anymore complicated? As I thought about my life on the drive back home, my phone rang, the caller ID read Dominic, a friend and business partner.

"Hello?" he asked after I had picked the call

"Hey" I sighed, "how are you?", "what're you up to?"

"Nothing much, I'm just coming from the annual board meeting at the office, the board members complained" his tone dropped.

"About what?" I asked worried

"I don't think we should talk about this over the phone, where are you right now?"

"I'm on my way home, but how about we meet at Dunce?"

"Sure, I'm on my way"

I arrive at Dunce in twenty minutes and order a Chapman while I wait for Dominic. He comes a few minutes after and after we exchanged pleasantries he ordered Chapman and  Nachos and then he spoke

"The board director said if you that if you didn't bring a responsible person to take over your position in the next one month, you'll be kicked of the company and someone else will be elected as the new C.E.O"

"But that's not possible, is it?, my company, all my investments, given to someone who just wants to reap from where he didn't sow? But where do I get someone responsible from? I can't possibly present Nathan. What do I do now?

"C'mon Eugene you're better than this, you're a smart you'll think of something. Although I have an idea but I don't think you'll like it"

"Dominic right now I'm desperate and anything you say I might just accept it. What do you have to offer?"

"You know last year Mr Marcel adopted a son from that new orphanage down town and I heard that the son is really doing great things out there for him and he's family name"

"You mean I should adopt a child?"

"No, not a child a man, probably twenty years old, its not a bad idea you know?"

"You're right, how about this, tomorrow we'll go down to the orphanage and um...........work the details out. In the mean time, I have another problem on board".

"What is it this time?"

"Its Douglas, he's using Melissa as a leverage"

"How?"

"He wants a marriage of convenience between Melissa and Edward"

"And that's a bad thing because? For Christ's sakes they are like royalty, what a lovely way for the company to get back on its feet".

"I know, right . But Melly will never agree to that".

"Why does she have a say in what goes around in your family?"

"She's my daughter so she's family, besides she will never forgive me".

"Yeah right, but she'll learn to love and she'll forgive you. Time heals all wounds."

"You do have a point and besides I really need to get Doug off my back. It'll also be a win win for me, I get Doug of my back and Melly gets married to a rich man". I know I am being really selfish but c'mon I'm really desperate, I have no choice.