Chapter 8: A Bit Chilly

"Aw, shi-"

Stacy giggled as Zach staggered on the ice, slipped and fell with a thud.

Zach winced and got up, rubbing his butt but soon fell once again on the slick ground. He scowled, cursing the lack of friction but then started laughing when Stacy giggled even harder.

"Hinojosa," Zach playfully scolded between chuckles, " You don't laugh at your friends. And you certainly don't take your friends to places where they don't have fun."

Stacy beamed, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear.

"Shelby's having fun."

"This isn't about Shubble, Hinojosa."

"Then what is it about, Graser?"

"Us."

Zach tentatively reached up, his hand getting a good grip on the horizontal bars on the wall. He pulled himself to stand. His legs started to wobble, his skates threatening to slip on the ice. A small pair of hands held onto his arms, steadying him.

"Uh, thanks, Hinojosa," Zach said sheepishly.

"And what did you mean by that us?" Stacy asked, tilting her head.

Zach's eyebrows furrowed.

"Nothing," He smiled, "it's nothing."

"Hey guys," Shelby shouted as she skated towards them. When her gaze landed on Zach, her cheeks blushed a light pink.

Stacy mentally rolled her eyes. 'It's so obvious she has a crush on him. I mean who wouldn't.' She widened her eyes, realizing what she just thought.

"Is something wrong Stacy?" Shelby asked, "you look like you just saw a dog."

Stacy shooked her head, "it's nothing. Just thought of something."

"I've learned some cool moves," Shelby grinned proudly, "wanna see them?"

"Sur-" But Zach was cut off by the sound of a phone ringing.

Stacy's hand dug into her pocket and fished out her phone.

"Sorry, gotta take this," Stacy apologized and skated off and out the door.

-

"What is it," Stacy sighed, exasperated, "Amelia, I really don't have time to discuss this with you, I'm hanging out with my friends and-"

"Friends? Hey Sally, news flash, you're supposed to be breaking Zach's heart, I paid you to do that," the voice on the other line spoke.

"Yes, I'm with him right now. And with the new exchange student. And another thing, my name is Stacy," Stacy bit her lip, fighting the urge to fire any insults.

"Oh her?" Amelia tsked. "What was her name? Sharon? Whatever, I don't have time for remembering the names of my minions. Are you sure she's not a distraction? Zach has a thing for brunettes and foreign girls."

'This girl is really set on breaking his heart..' Stacy mentally snorted.

"Whatever Lucy," Amelia said.

'That's not even close to Lucy,' Stacy frowned, 'who does this-'

"We'll talk when you get home and see what progress you're making."

And without another word, the other line hung up.

"Who was that?" Zach peeked at Stacy's phone, "Amelia?"