A Farewell

They day had to come sometime. No matter how much it was dreaded, it had to come. It chose to come two weeks after the move to the reserve. It chose to come. The day came – the day Flame had dreaded – when he had to kick out the black colt. Flame hated doing this – the last two times, he had had to fight off his arrogant sons. He hoped he wouldn’t have to this time. With great precaution, he approached the athletic black colt. "Son," he said wearily. "We need to have a talk . . ."

Flame then poured out the story. How he needed to kick him out. How it was for his own good – how he might take it into his head to challenge Flame if he didn’t leave. How he would be missed. How he would have his own herd. How he would live with a group of "bachelor stallions". How he hoped he understood. The young stallion rose up to his full height by rearing up, then looked Flame straight in the eye. Flame groaned. He didn’t want to be challenged – he wanted the colt to peacefully leave, to believe him, to get his own herd. The colt opened his mouth to speak, and he spoke slowly, seriously. "Dad," he said. "I believe you."

Flame was overjoyed – he arranged for all his mares to give a farewell to the spirited young horse. The colt went through the line of mares, and stopped at the bay mare, expecting a comment. The bay mare looked at him, and answered truthfully. "Young horse," she drawled. "You could not have chosen a more dignified, or more respectful way to leave. You will have a respected image in future – we’ll make sure of that." The colt nodded, and then, with a trumpeting neigh, he galloped off, leaving his herd worried and melancholy. All knew the faithful colt could not be replaced – but they wished him luck for his future life.