The Teacher's Pen Pal

• Dedicated to Becky Dewitt

Chapter One

I walked into my class and the room turns quite, which I am thankful for. Going to the front of the class and set my stuff down on the desk, I get a lot of weird looks. I let my eyes roam over the class and notice two people using sign language. One of them is an older woman, she must be the aide. The girl sitting beside her catches my interest. She has reddish blonde hair and I can't see her face as she is arguing with the aide about me. I clear my throat and they both look up. The young girl blushes.

"Good morning class, I'm Keith Ioth, and I will be your teacher for the next three years." I let that sink in before I continue. "Because of the recent gang violence in the schools the school board has decided that you all only leave out for electives and lunch. You will have a short ten minute break between subjects for bathroom purposes." I say and notice some of the students talking upon their selves. I slam my hands on the desk and get their attention. "You all may have heard of my reputation as a teacher and most of it is true. I will only say this once, you work hard and I will have no trouble with you. If you don't you will be punished. Now today we will start with introductions. Say your name and one sentence about yourself." I say as I sit down then point to a boy at the beginning of a row. I listen and make notes of who the clowns are and who are serious. At last I come to the girl and her aide. She stands up and starts sighing and I let aide be her voice.

"Hello, my name is Emily Brown, I'm 17. I had an accident two years ago so I have trouble speaking. This is my aide Kathy Woods." Emily finishes as she sits down and points to her aide.

"Now we are going to have a little discussion about bulling." I say standing back up and pass out some materials. "I do not allow it in my class; I do not allow it when you're out of my class. If hear of bulling I will give you so much work you will not have time to do it. I will also make it a point to tell your parents what you are doing." I finish passing out the papers and walk back to the front of the class. I hear a knock on the door and say come in. The principal pokes his head in.

"Sorry to bother you, but can I have a word with you and Emily, please?" He asks and I nod my head and motion for Emily to go on outside.

"Alright class, go over the material I gave you. Mrs. Woods, would you please watch the class?" I ask as I step out the door. I notice, when I get outside, Emily is signing really fast.

"Dad, why in the world are you here? You swore you would leave me alone." Mr. Brown put his hands on hers and stops her.

"I will leave you alone after I take care of this. Do remember I told you I had a seminar to go?" He asks and Emily nods her head. "I'm going to ask Keith if you can stay with him. He is your uncle Kevin's brother."

Emily looks shocked when she finds out about Kevin. She shakes her head and starts signing, "I thought you wanted me to stay with Uncle Kevin?"

"I would," Bob explains, "But Kevin has a business trip that same week, and I don't have any other choice. Keith, you don't mind do you?"

Bob looks up at me with pleading eyes and I can't tell my brother's best friend no. "Bob, you know I would do anything for you, just tell me when." I tell him and he gives a sigh of relief. I look over to Emily and ask, "You don't mind do you?" She lets out a groan and signs whatever, and stomps back in the class.

I look to Bob and he is shaking his head. "What to do with that girl?" he mumble then turns to me. "Can you come by the house tonight so we can discuss everything?" he questions and I nod my head."Good, bring Emily home so she can show you the way." He says as he heads down the hall. I walk back in class and get started on lessons.

When everyone leaves for lunch, I finally get to relax. Let me tell you about myself, I'm actually only 20 years old; I graduated from high school at sixteen, and got my teacher's decree at eighteen. Yeah, I'm really smart, but to look at me you would not think so. My brother swears I could be a model, but I could not do that. I really hate being ogled like that. My brother and Bob are the same age at 40. Even though I am younger than them, they took time with me. I stand about six foot four and I do have a few muscles but I don't flaunt it. I have black hair that is about shoulder length and light blue eyes. I must have had at least thirty confessions from female teacher and students alike, I turned them all down. Kevin and Bob nicknamed me old man because of the way I act. Sometimes I think I am more mature than them, they are all the time pulling jokes on each other. Emily comes in a short time later and flops in a desk, looking mad about something. "What's wrong?" I ask and she shakes her head. I leave her along and take a bite of my sandwich, when I hear her stomach growl really loud. "Did you eat lunch?" I ask and she shakes her head no. "Why?" I say as I put a sandwich and bottle of water on her desk.