Puritans

"Rogue, no!" Sting yelped. Rogue took one step back.
"Oh, that was too close!" he looked towards Sting with anxious eyes as the stout, proud Mrs. Mary Bradford passed by the small alleyway where the two were hiding. Thank the Lord she hadn't seen them. If she had, Sting and Rogue knew that the whole town would hear about it and have sentenced them to death within the hour for just standing in an alley suspiciously. Many of the citizens took a dislike to Sting because of his brash and cheerfully unholy attitude, which was deeply frowned upon by the elders, and Rogue's non-interactions with most people left them wary and suspicious of the 'devil- eyed', pale, dark- haired youth.  When Sting and Rogue had become friends, all of the wives shielded their children and all of the husbands took notice of their every escapade.

Sting didn't care. Sting wanted to scream, to run for the hills with Rogue, away from this crazy conformed town. But Rogue, possibly the wiser and certainly the more level- headed of the two, knew that to be away from the settlement meant to be in eminent danger, and he wasn't willing to risk his friend's or his own life to simply run off on a whim, on one of Sting's flighty impulses. So, at least for now, the two decided to try their best to stay on eveyone's good side whilst still sneaking around and being their own people.

That was really what Sting criticized about their way of life; everyone was so perfect trying to get into presumably joy- filled heaven that they didn't have any joy in their current lives. Sting was joyful every time he was with Rogue. He didn't care whether or not he was punished in hell. Maybe he was a forward thinker, or not of this time, but the happiness spending time with Rogue gave to him couldn't be a sin, and even if it was, it was worth it. It may just be Sting, but just in one moment of time, in one earthly second, to make Rogue laugh made Sting feel more holy and blessed than the most devout maiden.

Rogue was similarly happy to have Sting in his life, but he was much more cautious. Rogue spent his time trying to be normal- looking, whilst secretly trying to plan an escape from this strange place he and his friend found themselves in. He doubted they could survive in the forest without the food the town provided, never mind an unspeakably horrifying savage attack. So Rogue just kept bidding his time, waiting for a plan to come, while spending all the time he could with his one friend.