EIGHTEEN

SHAWN

"Welcome home!" Jake says as we enter the toronto stadium. It's our last ever concert of our tour. I marvel at the sight of it. How big it is. Spinning around on my heels and jumping up onto the stage, i feel like the king of the world.

On the downside, i haven't heard from Georgia. It's been six days. We normally don't go without talking for about 6 minutes. We have never properly argued and I feel like it is my fault. Suddenly the tune comes back into my head and i grab my guitar as fast I can to sing it before i can forget it.

I know I can treat you better than he can
And any girl like you deserves a gentleman
Tell me why are we wasting time
On all your wasted crying
When you should be with me instead
I know I can treat you better
Better than he can

The words tumble out of me like an uncontrollable waterfall. I open my eyes and the wors stop flowing. Once again i'm stuck. I feel my phone vibrate and have a mini panic attack when I see the caller.
"Hey Maria..."
"Hi shawn. Still not heard of Georgia?" silence. I don't even know how to answer anymore.
"No. It's my fault. I told her she was on her own. I told her I hated her." there's a long silence on the other end of the phone. I wonder if Maria is still there. "Maria?"
"Shawn why the fuck did you tell her that?" i'm surprised by her answer.
"I-"
"Shawn, Georgia hasn't come home. She's supposedly at the Motel still."
My eyes open wide and I feel my heart thudding all over again. "I've called her though. She's coming tonight." I nod and realise i'm talking on the phone.
"Okay. Does her mom know?" Maria says yes and a burning sensation fills up inside me. This is all my fault. I am so stupid. I said things I regret. Things that hurt her. And coming from me that must have crushed her. I had no idea why she went back with Adam but I realise that he has had a control over her for months. I pace up a d down.
"Shawn stop pacing." i hear Maria say.
I stop pacing.
"She'll be there tonight with a front row ticket. Everything will be fine. I've got to go." she hangs up on me and i put my head in my hands. I have no idea if I have lost her or not. But I have a bad feeling about it.

The cheers of the crowd are deafening. Stepping out onto the stage feels like such a rush. A spur of adrenaline. But it is mixed with fear. I look for one person in the crowd and when I can't see her I get a sinking feeling in my stomache. The knot is winding tighter and tighter and any minute I feel like i might just fall over.
I sing song after song. But still no sign of Georgia. I see Mom, dad and aaliyah but no Georgia. Finally I get to my last song and I see her. She stands at the front in the crowds. Slightly to the left, smiling. Her face is so beautif but hollowed and tired. I nod at her and she nods back. She looks at me dead in the eyes. I want to hug her. To say sorry for everything. Suddenly I feel my fingers strumming my last song.
I promise that one day I'll be around
I'll keep you safe
I'll keep you sound

Right now it's pretty crazy
And I don't know how to stop
Or slow it down

The cheers from the crowd echoe as they clap and sing along to it. I ignore it and continue singing.

Hey
I know there are some things we need to talk about
And I can't stay
Just let me hold you for a little longer now

Take a piece of my heart
And make it all your own
So when we are apart
You'll never be alone

When you miss me close your eyes
I may be far but never gone

I open my eyes and see a tear roll down her cheek. Staining it. I take a deep breath and sing the last verse of the song before the lights go down.

And take a piece of my heart
And make it all your own
So when we are apart
Never be alone.
You'll never be alone

The lights go down and the crowd roars. I step off the stage relieved that it was my last concert. That Georgia came. She came. Jake smiles and pats me on the back. Matt brings bottles of champagne and Mom and Dad smile. I pick Aaliyah up into my arms and try my best to not look miserable.
"Did you see Georgia?" i ask my parents. Their smiles dissapear and shake their head.
"She didn't come shawn. Nobody has seen her." i frown confused.
"She was in the crowd! I saw her!" mom puts her hand on my shoulder and shakes her head.
"She must have left. But nobody has seen or heard from her." i ram my brains trying to think where she is. Clifford hotel.

I know where Georgia is.