Chapter 3

Commander Zhu helped Susu cremate her father. The soldiers all watched - some in amazement, some in pity, and many others in respect. Susu had kneeled the entire time her father's body was burning in the red flames. There was only sorrow in her empty light amber eyes while she watched the flames consume her father body. No one uttered a single word while Susu was in mourning.

The next day, Susu woke up in the private tent that the Commander had his men set up for her. The sun hasn't rise yet but she heard the faint sound of sword clashing. From the sound of it, she could tell that it was a spar match. Exiting the tent, she saw two shadows moving in the center of the open field - one large figure of man and the other of a boy. It had surprised her because she hadn't noticed there had been a boy in the mist of all the soldiers.

Standing quietly in the shadows, Susu watched how the bigger, taller, more muscular Commander Zhu sparred with the much smaller boy. What's astonishing was that the boy was able to spar quite well with the Commander despite his size and age. Even in the darkness, Susu could see the two shadows moving with precision and speed.

"Ho-ho, getting quite aggressive boy"

The Commander was teasing the boy while deflecting all of the attacks with ease. One fatal move and the Commander would seriously be injured. But the old man laughs and continues to spar like it was a game.

"Be serious!" A young but stern voice shouted.

"No" The old man taunted in return. "You're 1000 years to early"

The boy scowled and continued to attack more aggressively. Even though it had been from a distance, Susu could clearly see the boy's strength. But no matter how strong the boy was, his current self cannot match up to Commander Zhu. The match ended with the Commander laughing and patting the boy head. Annoyed, the boy slapped the old man's hand away and stormed off.

"What did you think of the match?"

Susu wasn't surprised when the Commander turned and looked at her. Even in the darkness, he could see her. As a trained warrior and fighter, a man like Commander Zhu could always sense when he's being watched or followed.

"In a few years, you will have to spar with him seriously Commander Zhu, or you'll be gravely injured"

Hearing Susu's words, the Commander laughed proudly.

"Come girl, join me for the morning meal" The Commander waved her over to join him.

Just like that, Susu found herself in the large tent suited for the great Commander Zhu himself. At the large wooden table, Susu sat beside the Commander while a soldier set the plates of bread, porridge, and meat. While she ate quietly, she ignored the Commander eyes on her. She knew he had questions.

"Old man, you took my_"

The silent atmosphere was broken with a stern, cold voice. Susu recognized the voice and looked up to see the young boy at the entrance. With long jet black hair tied up in a simple knot, the boy wore dark blue and white robe. What stood out to Susu the most was his eyes. She didn't know anyone could posses purple eyes. Susu had never seen anyone so beautiful - even with the long deep scar on his left face.

"This brat is my grandson, Zhu Cang"

Commander Zhu ignored the angry boy while he introduced him to Susu.

"Where is my silver pill" Zhu Cang's voice was as calm as still water.

"Oh, was that yours?"

"Old man"

"She has it"

Commander Zhu sense his grandson anger and shamelessly pointed the finger to Susu beside him. Startled at being pointed at, Susu quickly went to her feet.

"Good luck getting it back" The Commander teased. "Since she consumed it"

Startled again, Susu eyes widened. It was only then that she noticed her body felt fine. Despite yesterday ordeal, she didn't feel any pain. Then she remembered the Commander had given her soup before she slept. Did he put the pill in the soup?

"I apologized Zhu gongzi" Susu bowed her head low.

"Forget it" Zhu Cang said coldly before he turned to leave.

"Where are you going boy? Sit down and eat"

Zhu Cang stood frozen at the entrance.

"Now" Commander Zhu ordered.

It took a while but Zhu Cang turned and sat down at the table - making no move to touch the food.

"Sit. Sit" The Commander doesn't seem to care further about his grandson mood while he smile at Susu.

Hesitating for a moment, Susu sat back down.

"Is your name Susu? Your father called you that yesterday"

"I'm sorry" Susu felt embarrassed for not properly introducing herself to her benefactor. "Commander Zhu, for not introducing myself properly before... My name is Lei Sulin... Susu...only my father and mother calls me that..."

The reminder of her parents brought sorrow deep within her heart but she kept her expression neutral. She had been train to do so all her life.

"Then Susu it is"

It amuses her how carefree and straightforward the infamous Commander was.

"Shameless" Zhu Cang muttered under his breath.

"What did you say boy?" Commander Zhu shot his grandson a smile.

Zhu Cang didn't respond with unreadable expression. With a slight smirk, Commander Zhu ignored his grandson while he returned his attention to the little girl beside him.

"So Susu, tell me how did you and your father end up in the hands of Bai Sect?"