Cari Walker

Cari ran into the greenhouse. That's how New Earth food is grown, since the Ground is no longer accessible. Her family's plantation was one of the biggest in Crilania, the continent that used to be Europe.

"Father, are you in here?" Cari called when she was inside the greenhouse. She took a deep breath. The smell of moisture and plants filled her lungs.

"Over here, Cari!"

Cari followed the voice. Finally, she saw her father, Anton Walker, up high in an apple tree.

Anton threw a deep red apple down to his daughter. "Taste."

Cari rolled the New Earth apple between her palms. "It's not firm enough. Check the feed on this tree, Father."

"Pardon?" Anton climbed down from the ladder.

"I said that this apple isn't very firm. Feel it, it's slightly squishy."

Anton rolled the apple between his own, calloused hands. "You're right. Glad you didn't eat it!"

"I told you!" Cari said sassily.

Anton laughed and threw an arm around his daughter. "Cari, darling, you're turning sixteen tomorrow."

Cari tucked a strand of light blue hair behind her ear. "I know, Father."

"Do you, now?" Anton started to lead Cari out of the greenhouse. They passed the covered field where cattle grazed on the New Earth-grown grass.

"Yes Father. And now I know, that as the eldest child, I will take over greenhouse duty."

"Absolutely. You already know the ups and downs, as well." Anton and Cari had reached the house. They walked in.

Lissa, Cari's little sister, came running down the stairs. "Cari, Cari! Mother needs you!" Lissa turned and ran back up the stairs, her black braid bouncing in her wake.

Cari giggled. "I'll be right back, Father."

Cari ran up the stairs, following the sound of Lissa's chattering.

She entered the viewing room, a large room painted pale yellow, with many windows. Through one window was the sight of the Crilania city of Mariun, which floated over the rubble of London, England. Through another window was the view of the greenhouse.

Cari's mother, Anika, was sitting in a chair. Lissa chattered away. "You needed me, Mother?" Cari asked meekly, clutching her pendant.

Cari was given the pendant when she was a toddler. It was a smooth, round, ice blue stone inside a silver frame.

Anika looked up. Her features were striking. Raven black hair, like Lissa, paired with ice blue eyes, like Cari. Her high cheekbones framed her pale face.

Cari had Anika's eyes, but most of her features came from her blond father. Her skin was light, with soft, rosy cheeks. Her light blue hair was long, glossy, and straight.

Nobody knows why she has such vibrant hair. Sure, many people on New Earth have strangely colored natural hair, but nobody has seen Cari's hair color before.

"Cari, you're turning sixteen."

Cari sighed and walked over to her mother. "I know."

"You know what that means, do you?" Anika gestured to a chair across from her. Cari sat in it. Lissa ran out of the room.

Cari chuckled. "She's so energetic!"

"Cari Walker, don't change the subject! Tomorrow is your betrothal. You shall be married to Lonn Orla. He will help you take care of the greenhouse."

Cari scoffed and crossed her arms. "Mother, what is this, the nineteenth century? Who even has betrothals anymore? Besides, Father isn't too fond of the idea of me marrying at sixteen. He thinks I'm rather capable of running the greenhouse myself."

Anika got out of her chair, her navy blue maxi skirt flowing behind her as she walked to the window that looked over the plantation. "You know what happens to little girls who don't obey their mothers, Cari."

Cari followed her mother to the window. "Yeah, whatever. The Mystics will come and get me. Blah, blah, blah."

Anika shot her daughter a fierce look. "No sarcasm!" she said.