Chapter 3

"Who's your boss?" I asked. He looked at me and sighed. 

"My dad." 

I looked at John and then back at Jacob. "Jacob... you do realize how dumb you sound right now right? You just told me that you tried explaining to your dad about your mom's condition and now you're telling me that he is your boss?! What kind of bullshit is this?" I am shaking in anger. He can't be serious right now.

"Isabel... my father still doesn't know. Like I told you, I TRIED to tell him but he wouldn't listen. I didn't know he was my boss until I took the job and I eventually found out. He doesn't even know why I'm doing this and I don't think he cares either. He just cares about this whole business and having enough people to work for him. I promise, this is the truth. I never wanted to hurt you. And I never will, ever again. You have to trust me. We've been friends for so long. Please." Tears starts rolling down his face as he told me. 

I felt bad for him, because of his mother, but I don't feel bad about anything else.

"Izzy, can we speak for a second... alone?" John asks me. I nod and we both get up and walked outside the coffee shop.

"Iz, are you buying any of this? Do you believe him? What are you planning to do? We should call the cops. This is all so wrong and he-" 

"Can you please just shut up for one second John. I need to breathe." I walked a couple feet away from him and started bawling my eyes out.

The truth is, I don't know what to do. I want to forgive him, tell him that it is okay. Not the kidnapping but the future will be. I want him to know we are all here for him and this job of his isn't happening anymore and it sure isn't right. I want him to know that there are other options than to hurt not only the girls for life, but also their families. We have all been friends for so long and this hurts me seeing Jacob doing this. I know it's for his mother but it still is so so wrong. I want to tell Kiera but if I do, it'll ruin everything. I'm so lost and I wish I knew what to do. I wish John would understand me but if these words even come out of my mouth, I'm 99.99% sure he will kill me because he's that protective. I have so many questions but I'm scared for the answers.

I wiped my tears and I walked over to John. "Please let me go back in there, alone. I just need to speak with him alone. And I know you might think it's dumb but please. You can watch from the outside but I need us to be alone." I can tell John doesn't like this idea but he ended up saying "Fine." 

I walked back in and sat down. Jacob was still crying.

"Jacob. I have questions and I need answers. Honest answers." He nodded.

"Is there anyone else who we know, that is working with you?" 

"No."

"What do you guys do after kidnapping girls?"

"We rape them. We don't let them go. They work for us... like slaves. But they get everything they want... just not being able to go home.."

"Do you hear yourself right now? You sound insane." I want to leave but I need more answers.

"Anything else, Iz?"

"How many girls have YOU done this to?"

"More than 5..." He looked away as he said that. "Please Isabel, you can't tell Kiera, anyone. I just need money and then I'm done. My mom has less than a year. If she's lucky enough, she has 9 months max. Please."

"Jacob, there are other options than to do this and hurt people. You have friends to help you..." 

"No one is able to help with money like this. And if this is the only way, then I'm willing to."