Chapter 9

Brett

I sat there staring down at the photo, and it was almost like looking into the mirror. Bailey was good at hiding this from me, likely because of her hair being so long that it put her into her own isolation. The picture however was amazing, unsettling to an extent but amazing. However, it also did leave me confused since what are you supposed to say when someone draws a picture of you behind your back.

"Thank you?" The words slipped out of my mouth in a confused tone, but it seemed like the only appropriate thing to say at the moment.

Wanting to continue the conversation further so I could learn more about this mysterious girl next to me. My hopes were immediately ripped away as the school bell echoed around the room signalling that our class was over. Turning back to Bailey, I watched as she slid her notebook back in front of her and quickly began packing up as if it was some sort of race. The journal was the last thing she put into her bag, as I got one last look at her drawing before it disappeared. Then before I could do anything, Mrs. Conrad gave her final address to the class that day as we all turned our heads giving her our full attention.

"Alright class we'll briefly discuss this tomorrow first thing, before moving on to the next assignment. Have a good day." Her words trailed off, and like prisoners sitting before a warden, we waited until she got back to her desk before continuing to move again.

I hadn't even touched my bag yet as I began moving the binders and books inside it, not paying attention to Bailey. When I was nearly done packing up, I heard the sound of metal chair legs screeching against the laminate floor, and suddenly felt something brush against my shoulder in Bailey's direction. Instantly I looked over to where she was just sitting but she had vanished, which caused me to turn to look at the classroom door. Sure enough, I watched as the girl left the room. No goodbye, or nothing and I wondered if she'd even give me the time of day after this.

My gaze didn't leave the entrance for a few moments as I watched her turn the corner of the threshold, and actually enter the hallway. Please come back. I thought yet it was no use, she was gone as the class started to follow her lead.

"Goodbye, I guess," I muttered to myself as I finished up packing my bag, and then followed the crowd out of the room.

Before I walked out, I turned to look back one last time to make sure that I had grabbed everything. Only instead of looking at the desks, my eyes locked with Mrs. Conrad's. It didn't even dawn on me that her desk was right behind where we had been sitting. She had a front-row seat and likely watched as everything played out between Bailey and I. To the point that she had a look about her that told me she had questions about what had gone on between the two of us. I didn't have time to ask her though, nor did I really want to as I walked out the door.

Ritually following my schedule like I did every day, I knew full well that nothing as satisfying as meeting Bailey would be happening in any of my other classes. Unlike some students, though I stuck to them, I never skipped in fear that my mother would find out, and that was a yelling match that I didn't need to have. Even though the whispers around me were tempting. They all talked of this magical world outside of the school, and all they had to do was walk out the doors at an inappropriate time. It just didn't make sense to me, and that's what made me wonder what my breaking point would be. What would be more important than school for me? I thought as I sat there in a class I didn't care about.

I understood the craving of freedom here, but what drove everyone to want it? That said I hated being here too, the classes were repetitive, and the teachers all had rather monotone voices when describing their lessons. There was nothing to enjoy here. Yet I continued to go without hesitation in fear of disappointing my mother, and that was the only thing that drove me to keep trying in school.