Chapter One.

NYU has been my dream college for as long as I can remember. I've always taken a liking to English and Journalism, so I thought why not make a career out of it. The only downside is that I had to move out of home to attend the school as I lived too far away from it. A completely different state as a matter of fact. But it is a new adventure so I'm excited!
I was adding the final things to my bags before I left my family home. It's really sad to be leaving, but I know this is something I have to do to pursue my dreams, and my parents always told me to never let anything hold me back. So I'm finally listening to them for once I guess.
The drive to the college was possibly the longest trip I have ever been on. It was just the next state over and my parents didn't see the point in taking a plane considering we virtually lived on the borderline of the two states anyways.
Getting out of the car I said my goodbyes to my parents. I hugged my mum first.
"Promise to call me whenever you can sweetie," mum spoke through tears.
"I will, I promise," I said as I kissed her on the cheek. Next was my dad, he wasn't crying like my mother. He knew that I'd be okay.
"I love you darling, call us if you ever need anything," he spoke into my ear as we hugged.
"I will dad, love you both!" I said as I let go of my dad and grabbed my bag heading into the schools dorm section.
I took a deep breath before entering the administration office. Remember why you're here Mya. That will have to be my personal mantra while I'm here I decided in my head.
I pushed the heavy doors open the best I could with my luggage in my hands and made my way to the desk.
"How can I help you?" The office lady asked.
"Hi, I'm Mya Carter, I'm a new student and I was looking for my schedule and dorm room number," I smiled at her. I got the vibe that she hated her job by the sour look she displayed across her face.
"I won't be a moment," she spoke through a much faked smile. Jeez, if you hate your job so much why are you here? I wouldn't want to be spending my life like that.
I waited around for a few minutes shifting my weight on my feet before she returned and handed me my schedule and my room number and key.
"You're in block B. Enjoy your time here," she said. I assume she's said that countless times today. I thanked her and exited the office. I stopped out the front and dropped my bags and pulled out the map of the school I had printed from their website before leaving home. What? I gotta find my way around someway.
I concentrated on the map in efforts of finding block B. By the looks of things it's just across from the library, that shouldn't be too hard to fine surely?
I shoved the crumpled map into my pocket before grabbing my things and heading towards the main activity area where I assumed the library would be and I was right. I turned around to face away from the library to be met with a 4 story building with a large sign near the door stating "Dorm Block B".
I pushed the doors open and looked at my room number.
"527" I whispered to myself before jumping into the elevator and pressing level four. How did they fit so many rooms into such a small space? They must be fairly small rooms I thought to my self. The doors opened with a "ding" and I stepped out and walked down the somewhat grungy hallway until I found my room.
I shoved the key into the door and pushed it open only to be met with a shocked face.
"I didn't know I was sharing, let alone with a girl!" The deep voice exclaimed.
Well, this is going to be interesting.