What If

I glanced at the clock on the wall.

7:34 a.m.

Normally, I was never up this early. Today is different, though. Today was the day that I was going to push aside every doubt in my mind, and ask her.

I was already showered and dressed before she even came down the stairs into the kitchen, and it was cute seeing the confusion in her sleepy eyes.

"Why're you up so early? Don't you normally sleep in on your days off?" She asked with a tiny yawn. God, she was so perfect.

"I know, but I wanted to make you breakfast today. It is a very special day, so I made you a very special breakfast." I gave her a bright smile as I gestured towards the table that was set up with every kind of breakfast food imaginable. I spent a long time and a lot of money preparing for today, and it was evident.

Her eyes lit up like stars in the night sky at the sight of all the food. "Oh, how you know the way into a girl's heart!"

I laughed and handed her a plate, already adorned with her most favorite foods. I poured her some orange juice as she sat down at the table. Sitting down with her, I watched as she enjoyed every bite with a grin on her face.

Neither of us had work today, which was something I planned a few months in advance. Everyone was in on it except her, and she had no idea that anything out of the ordinary was going on.

When she was all done with her breakfast, I picked up the dirty dishes and cleaned everything up. She tried helping but I led her to the living room and made her sit on the couch. She pouted, of course, but I had grown used to it after three years of dating her. Today was our anniversary, though it was to become a day much more special.

She gasped as I walked in with a bouquet of her favorite white lilies."Oh my- What are those for?"

I handed them to her with a proud smile. Usually she was the one who remembered these dates, not me. "Happy anniversary, my love."

With a squeal, she wrapped her arms around my neck in a hug. "You remembered!"

"Of course I did! Why would I forget the day I asked the most perfect girl in the world to be mine?"

I suddenly became nervous as I fiddled with the small velvet box in my pocket. She noticed the change and frowned.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

What if she says no?