The Dark

Ever since she was little, her father had always told her to leave the lights on at night. She never questioned him, just thinking it was a normal thing for people to do.

'Don't trust the dark. It took your mother away from us.' He always told her.

Her father was out of town for the week, so she was allowed to have her best female friend stay the night with her a few nights so she wasn't always completely alone. This was the first sleepover she's had, and she was 17. Her father always said no with a concerned look in his eyes; she was definitely surprised when he told her it was alright while he was gone. As long as she left the lights on at night.

Currently, it was 3:31 a.m. and the two girls had just finished watching the newest horror movie.

"I'm ready for bed," the girl's friend yawned and stretched her arms, plopping back on the makeshift bed on the floor constructed of several layers of blankets.

The girl shut the television off and laid down, too, pulling a blanket over her. "Goodnight."

"Aren't you going to shut the lights off?" Her friend questioned and sat up.

"No... I've always slept with the lights on because my dad told me to..."

"Well, your dad isn't here now, so it's not like he's gonna know you didn't sleep with the lights on this one time."

The lights flicked off as the friend had gotten up and turned them off. 

The girl's laid down and closed their eyes, waiting for sleep.

After a few minutes, she swore she heard someone whisper her name.

"Hey... Was that you?" Turning towards her friend, she gave a confused look. "Did you call my name?"

"No... Your mind is just messing with you," her friend gave a rational explanation, followed by a loud yawn.

Several more minutes passed when the girl heard more whispers coming from all around the dark room. She decided not to bother her friend, as she could hear the oft snores coming from her small figure.

The whispers continued, and they seemed to get louder in her ears.

Quickly sitting up and opening her eyes, she gasped as she saw countless pairs of floating orbs in the darkness. The whispers grew into shouts of explicit things and laughter, jeering at her.

Tears prickled the girl's eyes. Her friend slept soundly, seemingly unfazed by the shouts...as if she couldn't hear them.

The girl shut her eyes tight and shook her head, trying to shake away the voices. But when she re-opened her eyes, she was met with a horrid sight. A decrepit, gray hand with long, claw-like fingers was reaching out for her from the dark.