Chapter 12 - The Field

Isaac ran outside, not sure where he found the courage, but unable to question it either.  His heart raced and as he cleared the field.  He saw her under the tree, just as he envisioned her in his mind.

He heard the sound of wings beating above his head as a large black bird took flight from a branch in the tree.

Clutching his chest, he came to a stop in front of her as she neither lifted her head from her knees, nor acknowledged his presence.  She was trembling, but appeared to relax a little at his arrival.

Compelled to touch her, he reached out to her with both hands, and squeezed her leather-covered shoulders gently.

Something stirred within him.  His heart was still racing, but it was gripped with pain.  A stabbing of bitter despair and agony overcame him, and a slap of wretchedness and fear made him fall to his knees before her.

Startled, Mikayla pulled back, her eyes wide as she looked from him to her surroundings.

He could see the fear in her bloodshot eyes, and ignored the smeared makeup on her cheeks.

“Mikay,” he said, unsure of why he was there or what he was supposed to do.  He only knew that he had to be there.

She looked ready to run.  He grabbed her arm as she was about to bolt, and she grimaced.  Her lips curled back in a snarl and she narrowed her eyes.

“You better let me go if you know what’s good for you.”

Warmth spread through him, as if he was now awakening from a half-dazed slumber and he was hungry for answers.

“And if I don’t?” His voice was low, but steady as he looked at her.

She stared right back at him, unflinching.

“Then I can’t be held responsible for what happens to you.”

“Is that a threat?”

“You saw what I did!” she shot back forcefully.  “I threw a fucking desk against the wall!  It broke in half!”

She pursed her lips, her eyes aflame with both fear and rage.  She looked away quickly, and inhaled a slow, deep breath and released it with a shudder.

“I don’t,” she hesitated, her eyebrows furrowing, “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“How so?” he asked, stepping closer, so close that they were merely an inch apart.

He could feel the heat of her breath against his neck.  Being this close, he felt even more drawn to her, like a gravitational pull.  Her scent filled his senses and he felt intoxicated by her.  His pulse quickened and a sliver of sweat formed on his back and ran down his spine, sending shivers to course through him, and his stomach to flip-flop.

What was this feeling?

He looked down at her, and her eyes, once angry, were now only filled with fear.  Fear, confusion, and longing, were all swirling around in her eerie blue-grey eyes.

She wavered, and he caught her elbows, drawing her to him, and removing the force field that separated them.

Even through her leather jacket, he could feel the heaving of her chest, the tremble that rippled through her nerves, and the quick beating of her heart.

What did this mean?

His inhibition dissolved, his mind filled with only thoughts of her.  Her mystery, her sadness, her anger, her fear, her scent—he felt as though he was drowning into some kind of abyss, of which he could not escape.