Part 1/2

Reader's POV

Being a butler takes a lot of effort and responsibilities: you're in charge of all the servants in your department; you must always be on task and have to be prepared for any situation.
I am (Y/N) (L/N), the Head Butler of the pantry, so I also have an extensive knowledge of most aspects of dining and entertainment. I must admit, I do enjoy my job but I am only sixteen years old, aren't I too young for such a position? I was a page boy * just while ago after all.

It was very unexpected that I became a page boy however, and it was all because of Prince Leonhard.

I suppose it was when I was around nine; the Kingdom of Granzreich still had a few people were living in poverty and homeless, I was one of them.
I believe it was the first time Prince Leonhard was leaving the palace ground. He and the royal family were going to a park which I didn't know was a private property.
I was planning to stay there until I got found and chased out, like all the other places I temporarily stayed at.
I was sitting under a tree, hiding from the sun's rays, trying to sleep. I found this to be the most peaceful place I have stayed at to that point. With my eyes closed, I breathed in the fresh air until I suddenly heard something in front of me.
"Who are you?"
I opened my eyes to find a smaller boy looking at me curious.
It was rare occasion for someone to talk to me as everyone knew it was better to stay away from the homeless. I stayed silent but the boy repeated his question.
"Who are you, mister?"
I was a bit surprised that the blonde boy called me 'mister', I was usually called names by the townsfolk; 'filth', 'dirt', 'a disappointment', but I was only a child, I didn't know how to get a job or find a home.
It would have been rude to keep ignoring him though, eventually I decided to reply.
"I'm (Y/N)..."
"Nice to meet you (Y/N), I'm Leonhard von Granzreich. Can I ask what are you doing here?"
"I was about to nap and- wait, d-did you say Leonhard von Granzreich?!"
"Yep, thats me!"
"Y-y-your a Prince! You shouldn't be n-near a peasant like me!"
"Peas..ant? What does that mean?"
"I-it means......t-that's not the point! You shouldn't be talking to me, I'm filthy, dirty, a disappointment!"
"Why do you call yourself that?"
"Because..... I'm homeless... I ruin the kingdom's scenery.. the townsfolk hate people like me.."
"Then why don't you live in my home!"
". . . E h ?"
"You can help the maids and other servants!"
"W-what t-thats impossible! A commoner with no skills like me can't ever-"
"It will be okay." the Prince smiled, putting out his hand.

I did eventually accept Prince Leonhard's suggestion, and surprisingly King Victor did allow me to work in the Palace as a page boy, of course after checking that I wasn't a dangerous person or with bad intentions.
"It will be okay."
I still remember the Prince's kind words. It was all due to him that I am here now, with such a fortunate live-in job, and that I have met such nice people.

Right now I am checking the food stock and the prospect of the pantry:
Everything in the pantry must be in flawless order;
The dishes must be sparkling clean;
Food must be in perfect quality.
Now that I think of it, I do see why I am a butler.
My thoughts are suddenly interrupted when I hear footsteps coming closer.
"(Y/N), Prince Leonhard has asked to see you in his chambers." A maid says.
'The prince, me? Now? But why?' I think.
"Understood, I shall go right away." I say, bowing before excusing myself to go see the Prince.

* Page Boy- Basically an aspiring footman (laying the table, answering the door, waiting at table and accompanying family when travelling on foot and by carriage) who had shown steady ambition in another servant department. Typically an adolescent or younger.

Thank you for reading the first part of my book Butler to Lover? I hope you enjoyed it so far! (^∇^)