Taps

[Mike]

Three volleys broke the excruciating silence.

Why does it have to be now? 

I still have something to ask you. Apparently, it's already too late.

You have been my best friend for 4 years. We went through thick and thin - well, I was the one who has been through all these things; but you didn't hesitate to share my pain and joy. You even asked your parents to let me stay at your place for a while. You've done so much for me, and I couldn't thank you enough.

My happiest moment in our history is when you told me in our senior year that you had feelings for me. I also had feelings for you; but I was afraid it might not be mutual. I'm just grateful we met at the athletic field on our first day. If it were not for that, I might not have survived the Academy. Seriously.

I promised that I would find us a place after your parents nagged about us living together; and you know what, I already found one near Finsbury. It's a nice apartment, close to the market, and quite a good deal. The landlady is very sweet and she agreed to my bargain on the condition that we take care of her dog whenever she's away; an absolute win-win if you ask me, considering that we only have to spend some energy to walk him (a border collie, by the way) out.

Going back to where I started, I still have to ask you something. I already wanted to ask this on our graduation anniversary; but you had your tour, your mom got sick, and then the war began. I'm sorry for making you wait for too long. I hope your patience isn't all used up yet.

Vincent Reginald Hunt,

Will you be my partner in crime for the rest of our lives?

Will you be my comforter in exchange of being your body pillow every night and lazy afternoon?

Will you be my MasterChef judge every week?

Will you accept my gear if I give it to you?

Will you take this zombie to be the love of your life?

Will you marry me?

What am I saying? It's too late now.

I just don't want to be alone. I'm not ready for this. Why do you have to leave me so soon?

You come back right here right now, you sneaky bastard!

Please...

"Mike..."

Vince?

"Mike! Taps are done."

"Oh, shit." Thanks, Leo.

"Ready, two."

"Prepare to fold..."

Can someone tell me why Vince has to die?